Natural or Man Made Quakes in England?

Post new topic Reply to topic
Chemtrail Central > Weather

Author Thread
Free World Order

Location: Totalitarian EU
Natural or Man Made Quakes in England? PostSat Apr 28, 2007 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Earthquake shakes southern England

for images and better coverage go here:

4.3-magnitude quake rattles southern England -- country's largest since 1931
Houses damaged, 1000s left without power but no reports of injuries
Quake's epicenter was near entrance to Channel Tunnel; train services unaffected

LONDON, England (AP) -- A moderate earthquake rattled parts of southeast England Saturday morning, toppling chimneys from houses and rousing residents from their beds.

Several thousand people were left without power after the quake in the county of Kent, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.

"It literally felt like the whole house was being slid across like a fun-fair ride," said Sharon Hayles of Stanford, southeast England.

The British Geological Survey said the 4.3-magnitude quake struck at 8:18 a.m. (0718 GMT) and was centered at sea, 7.5 miles (12 kilometers) off the Dover coast. The area is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) southeast of London.

The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 4.7.

Witnesses said cracks appeared in walls and chimneys collapsed across the county. Energy supplier EDF Energy said several thousand homes were without power after the quake, and the fire service was investigating several reports of gas leaks.

Residents said the tremor lasted about 10-15 seconds.

"I was lying in bed and it felt as if someone had just got up from bed next to me," said Hendrick van Eck, 27, of Canterbury, 60 miles (100 kilometers) southeast of London.

"I then heard the sound of cracking, and it was getting heavier and heavier. It felt as if someone was at the end of my bed hopping up and down."

The quake's epicenter is near the entrance to the Channel Tunnel. Train operator Eurostar said its services to France and Belgium were operating normally.

There are thousands of moderate quakes on this scale around the world each year, but they are rare in Britain. Saturday's quake was the strongest in Britain since September 2002, when a 4.8-magnitude quake struck the central England city of Birmingham.

The country's strongest earthquake took place in the North Sea in 1931, measuring 6.1.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Disclaimer: under fair use policy of US law - this is used for educational or entertainment purposes only and not commercial profit - it is a non profit use.

Disclaimer: all my posts are thought crimes and only IMO in the police state we all live in... UK is history, USA to RESIST?