Earthquake in UK

Post new topic Reply to topic
Chemtrail Central > Weather

Author Thread
Tally27

Earthquake in UK PostWed Feb 27, 2008 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I woke up at 1am all confused because the house was shaking. My first thought was "earthquake", then I laughed at myself for being silly and went back to sleep. Apparently I was right. Probably nothing out of the ordinary for a lot of you but here in England it's quite something. It wasn't huge, 5.3, but certainly noticeable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm
raze78

PostWed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I thought i was nuts last night. Thought it was my nervous system lol, then I thought it was the building. Then i ignored it all and went to sleep.
_________________
"Hikow mamtaqiym wkulow mahamadiym zeh dowdiy wzeh ree`iy bnowt yruushaalaaim."
Song of Solomon 5:16, Hebrew original.
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tally27

PostWed Feb 27, 2008 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I thought I was having a bad dream or something, I put my head outside for a smoke and all the birds were tweeting even though it was pitch black.
sicntired

Location: columbus, ohio
PostWed Feb 27, 2008 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

There was a full moon/eclipse on the same night that the sattelite was shot down. 7.4 quake in Indian Ocean, Large quake S. Cal. and then next day 6.3 in Northern Nevada. Go to www.usgs.earthquake.gov to view recent quakes. Excerpt below from National Geographic website. Quakes in unlikely places might be a chain reaction. It seems the moon must play a greater roll than some would admit, or is it a coincidence? I am not qualified to judge.

Can the Moon Cause Earthquakes?
<< Back to Page 1 Page 2 of 2
James O. Berkland is a Glen Ellen, California-based geologist and editor of Syzygy—An Earthquake Newsletter. He believes the gravitational tugs of the moon, sun, and other planets can influence earthquake activity. Berkland said he has accurately predicted tremors based on factors such as syzygy.

"Syzygy" refers to the alignment of three celestial objects. Syzygy of the sun, Earth, and moon occur twice a month, at the full and new moons. At such times, gravitational forces are at a maximum, especially when the bodies are close together, Berkland said.

Email to a Friend

RELATED
Coming Soon Your Local Earthquake Forecasts?
Can Satellites Aid Earthquake Predictions?
Can Animals Sense Earthquakes?
Are Earthquakes Encouraged by High Tides?
Earthquake Prediction Remains a Moving Target
The Earth and moon are closest together—at perigee—once a month. The Earth and sun are closest together—at perihelion—once a year. Perihelion currently occurs in early January. Maximum gravitation force occurs when a syzygy and perigee occur on the same day as perihelion.

According to Berkland, seismometers left on the moon by Apollo astronauts show that moonquakes occur most frequently at perigee.

"So we know Earth's gravity triggers moonquakes. I don't think any scientist disputes that," Berkland said. "When I learned that, I went to my former [U.S. Geological Survey] colleagues in Menlo Park [California] and pointed out this really exists, so what's so difficult about turning it around?"

According to Berkland, the U.S. Geological Survey said such a theory is ridiculous—the Earth is 82 times more massive than the moon. Though the Earth can trigger quakes on the moon, they said, the moon is too small to trigger any earthquakes.

But the moon is mostly solid and lacks a liquid core like the Earth, Berkland said. The Earth "is an active, living planet, and so it is not at all surprising that minor gravitational stresses can trigger earthquakes," he said.

Using syzygy and other factors—such as the number of cats and dogs listed in the lost and found in newspaper classified advertisements—Berkland said he accurately predicted several earthquakes, including the October 17, 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, California. Berkland said the number of cats and dogs reported missing goes up prior to an earthquake. The numbers went up significantly prior to the 1989 San Francisco quake, he said.

At least two major quakes may suppoort Berkland's theory. The December 26, 2004, magnitude 9.1 in Sumatra, Indonesia, occurred on the day of a full moon. Likewise, the March 27, 1964, magnitude 9.2 earthquake in Alaska occurred on the day of maximum high tide.

According to Berkland, such correlations are more than coincidences. They demonstrate a true connection between the moon and earthquake activity, he said.

But Bellini, the U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist, said, "There is still no known observation of an effect related to the moon and seismicity."

In a follow-up email to National Geographic News, Bellini questioned the scientific validity of Berkland's predictions. He said they appear to be "self-selected statistical analysis of historical seismicity rates and are so vague in time and location that they are certain to be correct."
Tally27

cool PostWed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

That's a really interesting read, thanks sicntired Smile
perverted_introvert

Location: Chicago
Nice PostWed Feb 27, 2008 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

I agree, syzygy is my favorite word of all time... my ears perked up when I heard it Very Happy

If the moon can pull oceans to cause tides, why wouldn't it have at least some effect on the earth's crust?
_________________
“To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee”
 View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Tally27

PostThu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to see you play that one in Scrabble Very Happy
perverted_introvert

Location: Chicago
Hmph PostThu Feb 28, 2008 2:03 am  Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyzzyva
_________________
“To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee”
 View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Tally27

:D PostThu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am  Reply with quote

That would be awesome. On a 3W Very Happy
No Way Oligarchs

Location: Entropia, South-west England
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 10:45 am  Reply with quote

List of earthquakes in UK. Note increased frequency since 1994.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/macroseismics/macroseismic_surveys.htm
Parsons used the lavatory, loudly and abundantly. It then turned out that the plug was defective and the cell stank abominably for hours afterwards. George Orwell. 1984.