Global warming turning out to be setting record cold temps

visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Global warming turning out to be setting record cold temps PostWed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 am  Reply with quote

this year. We have record lows being set all over the country. Now look at the current solar conditions and you will find that we are at a solar minimum which means the amount of energy being emitted by our sun is lower than in years past. In fact we are in a unusually prolonged one as we speak which has some scientist quite puzzled.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/21/the-killer-frost-for-global-warming/

PRUDEN: The killer frost for global warming
Wesley Pruden (Contact)
Friday, November 21, 2008

Turn up the heat, somebody. The globe is freezing. Even Al Gore is looking for an extra blanket. Winter has barely come to the northern latitudes and already we've got bigger goosebumps than usual. So far the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reports 63 record snowfalls in the United States, 115 lowest-ever temperatures for the month. Only 44 Octobers over the past 114 years have been cooler than this last one.
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
SPACEWEATHER.COM reports 2008 PostWed Dec 10, 2008 4:11 am  Reply with quote

FEATURE

Spotless Sun: Blankest Year of the Space Age
09.30.2008

Sept. 30, 2008: Astronomers who count sunspots have announced that 2008 is now the "blankest year" of the Space Age.

As of Sept. 27, 2008, the sun had been blank, i.e., had no visible sunspots, on 200 days of the year. To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go back to 1954, three years before the launch of Sputnik, when the sun was blank 241 times.

"Sunspot counts are at a 50-year low," says solar physicist David Hathaway of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "We're experiencing a deep minimum of the solar cycle."

A spotless day looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/6p84w4

More comments upon this phenomena

http://tinyurl.com/6g4urs

Don't get me wrong we need to push hard for alternate energy sources and get away from being solely dependent upon fossil fuels as we are today. Solar rocks by the way......
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
weatherman714

Location: Maryland
2003 PostThu Dec 11, 2008 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

quote:
We should sigh, shrug and give the scientists at NASA the benefit of the doubt that this was a mistake and not a deliberate howl at the moon. A spokesman for the institute explains that readings borrowed from Russia, which had been described as 10 degrees higher than normal for October, distorted the figures but, after all, the data had been obtained from others. So we should blame someone else.

I said in 2003 that the NWS would purposely inflate high temperatures to influence weather model outputs to skew the forecasted weather. The Russians are doing the same thing.
It would typically happen on days that the NWS missed the forecasted high temperature by at least 10F.

quote:
Because the National Weather Service insists on lying about the
true temperatures along the East Coast for the past two months. The
Russians have taken advantage of this. Everytime the NWS lies, the
Russians spray over Sibieria, to send another large arctic air mass.

~ME Oct 7,2003

Most nations and militaries in the world promote their bright young scientists, not the US Govt and US Military, they intimidated their brightest one.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Sun spot activity continues to be below average PostMon Dec 15, 2008 12:31 am  Reply with quote

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/02/13/where-have-all-the-sunspots-gone/

But the real news is just how quiet the suns magnetic field has been in the past couple of years. From the data provided by NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) you can see just how little magnetic field activity there has been. I’ve graphed it below:

Given the current quietness of the sun and it’s magnetic field, combined with the late start to cycle 24 with even possibly a false start, it appears that the sun has slowed it’s internal dynamo to a similar level such as was seen during the Dalton Minimum. One of the things about the Dalton Minimum was that it started with a skipped solar cycle, which also coincided with a very long solar cycle 4 from 1784-1799. The longer our current cycle 23 lasts before we see a true ramp up of cycle 24, the greater chance it seems then that cycle 24 will be a low one.

No wonder there is so much talk recently about global cooling. I certainly hope that’s wrong, because a Dalton type solar minimum would be very bad for our world economy and agriculture. NASA GISS published a release back in 2003 that agrees with the commonly accepted idea that long period trends in solar activity do affect our climate by changing the Total Solar Irradiance (TSI).

Some say it is no coincidence that 2008 has seen a drop in global temperature as indicated by several respected temperature indexes compared to 2007, and that our sun is also quiet and still not kick starting its internal magentic dynamo.

Futures traders should take note......
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
More unusual sun acivity recorded as of late PostTue Dec 16, 2008 3:53 am  Reply with quote

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/15dec_solarflaresurprise.htm

Dec. 15, 2008: Solar flares are the most powerful explosions in the solar system. Packing a punch equal to a hundred million hydrogen bombs, they obliterate everything in their immediate vicinity. Not a single atom should remain intact.

At least that's how it's supposed to work.

"We've detected a stream of perfectly intact hydrogen atoms shooting out of an X-class solar flare," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "What a surprise! These atoms could be telling us something new about what happens inside flares."

The event occurred on Dec. 5, 2006. A large sunspot rounded the sun's eastern limb and with little warning it exploded. On the "Richter scale" of flares, which ranks X1 as a big event, the blast registered X9, making it one of the strongest flares of the past 30 years.

NASA managers braced themselves. Such a ferocious blast usually produces a blizzard of high-energy particles dangerous to both satellites and astronauts. Indeed, moments after the explosion, radio emissions from a shock wave in the sun's atmosphere signaled that a swarm of particles was on its way.

An hour later they arrived. But they were not the particles researchers expected.

NASA's twin STEREO spacecraft made the discovery: "It was a burst of hydrogen atoms," says Mewaldt. "No other elements were present, not even helium (the sun's second most abundant atomic species). Pure hydrogen streamed past the spacecraft for a full 90 minutes."

Next came more than 30 minutes of quiet. The burst subsided and STEREO's particle counters returned to low levels. The event seemed to be over when a second wave of particles enveloped the spacecraft. These were the "broken atoms" that flares are supposed to produce—protons and heavier ions such as helium, oxygen and iron. "Better late than never," he says.

I have a theory that the upcoming planetary alignment in sign of Capricorn might be in part responsible for the deviations in normal solar activity. In fact we will see a grouping of planets that have not aligned in such fashion since the 17th century.
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
Cloudy Skies

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Location: UK
Re: Sun spot activity continues to be below average PostTue Dec 16, 2008 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by visual ray wizard

No wonder there is so much talk recently about global cooling. I certainly hope that’s wrong, because a Dalton type solar minimum would be very bad for our world economy and agriculture.

The good news is that if we do enter a Dalton minimum we'll be doing so from a starting point much, much warmer than with the original Dalton - which occurred in the midst of the Little Ice Age. Given how warm the past decade has been, a new 'Dalton' may see temps plummet to as low as they were in ..... the 1970s. Though personally I can't see them falling that low.
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
It might be visualized as a temporary slow down of the PostWed Dec 17, 2008 2:59 am  Reply with quote

general warming trend that will be quickly reversed when the sun's activities return to a more active state. I think we will have above average precipitation for the winter months with much of it coming as snow based on solar observations at this time.

We have to keep in mind that there is a lag effect between the solar maximums and minimums because the earth and especially it's oceans act as a heat sink to slow the climate changes in mean surface temperature.

Planetary alignments of one sign or another have particular effects on people so why not the sun as well. I have been doing lots of research into astrology as of late to better understand the subtle and sometimes not so subtle forces that influence all life.

Hope it is a good thing cloudy skies and only time will tell my friend. If you are into skiing like myself then you are going to love these numbers from out west.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=Weathermatrix&pgurl=/mtweb/content/Weathermatrix/archives/2008/12/west_getting_pounded_by_winter_storms_too.asp

California Storm Total Snowfalls Over 40 Inches:

Pascoes, CA: 58"*
Alpine Meadows: 52"**
Farewell Gap, CA: 51"*
Mammoth Mountain, CA: 49"
Bear Valley, CA: 49"**
Kirkwood, CA: 48"
Soda Springs, CA: 48"**
Boreal, CA: 48"**
Wet Meadows: 48"*
Tenaya Lake: 45"*

*Estimated by NOAA SnoTel.
**Ski Areas From OnTheSnow.com
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Just found another variable that should be included in PostWed Dec 17, 2008 3:21 am  Reply with quote

our weather models if not already......

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/16dec_giantbreach.htm?list1049613

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field
12.16.2008

+
Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics.

"At first I didn't believe it," says THEMIS project scientist David Sibeck of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "This finding fundamentally alters our understanding of the solar wind-magnetosphere interaction."

The magnetosphere is a bubble of magnetism that surrounds Earth and protects us from solar wind. Exploring the bubble is a key goal of the THEMIS mission, launched in February 2007. The big discovery came on June 3, 2007, when the five probes serendipitously flew through the breach just as it was opening. Onboard sensors recorded a torrent of solar wind particles streaming into the magnetosphere, signaling an event of unexpected size and importance.

Right: One of the THEMIS probes exploring the space around Earth, an artist's concept. [more]

"The opening was huge—four times wider than Earth itself," says Wenhui Li, a space physicist at the University of New Hampshire who has been analyzing the data. Li's colleague Jimmy Raeder, also of New Hampshire, says "1027 particles per second were flowing into the magnetosphere—that's a 1 followed by 27 zeros. This kind of influx is an order of magnitude greater than what we thought was possible."

The years ahead could be especially lively. Raeder explains: "We're entering Solar Cycle 24. For reasons not fully understood, CMEs in even-numbered solar cycles (like 24) tend to hit Earth with a leading edge that is magnetized north. Such a CME should open a breach and load the magnetosphere with plasma just before the storm gets underway. It's the perfect sequence for a really big event."

Sibeck agrees. "This could result in stronger geomagnetic storms than we have seen in many years."
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
So what is the Dalton solar minimum anyway? PostThu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 am  Reply with quote

It was a period of time between 1790 and 1830 in which the sun experienced a lower than average activity resulting in less warming rays reaching the earth.

Here is a Google search result of the Dalton minimum.

http://tinyurl.com/4ba9o5

http://global-warming.accuweather.com/science/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/science/space/03sun.html?_r=1

The solar wind is another piece of the puzzle. David J. McComas of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio and one of the researchers who analyzed data from the Ulysses Sun-watching spacecraft, said that the strength of the solar wind seemed to be in a long-term decline. The pressure exerted by the solar wind particles during the current minimum is about a quarter weaker than during the last solar minimum, Dr. McComas said.

Dr. McComas said scientists were still trying to figure out how all the data fits together.

“There are a number of researchers who predict the next solar cycle,” he said. “There are also a number of investment counselors who predict the future of the stock market.”
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Scientists find huge hole in earth's protective shield PostMon Dec 22, 2008 12:32 am  Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468268,00.html?sPage=fnc/scitech/space

The leaks are defying many of scientists' previous ideas on how the interaction between Earth's magnetosphere and solar wind occurs: The leaks are in an unexpected location, let in solar particles in faster than expected and the whole interaction works in a manner that is completely the opposite of what scientists had thought.

As it orbited Earth, THEMIS's five spacecraft were able to estimate the thickness of the band of solar particles coming when the fields were aligned — it turned out to be about 20 times the number that got in when the fields were anti-aligned.

THEMIS was able to make these measurements as it moved through the band, with two spacecraft on different borders of the band; the band turned out to be one Earth radius thick, or about 4,000 miles (6,437 kilometers).

Measurements of the thickness taken later showed that the band was also rapidly growing.

Note the rapidly growing part......the next solar cycle is going to be quite illuminating if you know what I mean. wink wink
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Sun spot 1010 was supposed to be the start of cycle 24 but PostWed Jan 21, 2009 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

now scientists as NASA have determined it to be a left over from cycle 23. The sun remains void of any further activity however we are experiencing increased buffeting from a coronal hole which has sparked unusually strong auroras in our northern hemisphere in relation to the strength of the solar wind.

Is this a sign of things to come? Most likely it is. Considering how dependent we have all become on satellites and electricity, the next 2 to 3 years are going to be quite interesting.

Tearing into each other: When the magnetic fields of the Sun and Earth align, Earth's protective bubble can be breached, letting in solar storm particles.

"With every new solar cycle, the direction of the solar magnetic field changes," Raeder said. In the last solar cycle, the pattern was like lighting the match before turning on the gas valve. This time, however, the reverse will happen. Thus, the researchers said, we could be in for stronger electromagnetic storms during cycle, which reaches its peak around 2012.

As a foot note I would like to mention that back in Dec we had a minor solar event that effected the total voltage produced by my solar packs down at my deer camp. The highest reading I was ever able to observe was 13.8 volts but on this particular occasion the readings peaked at 14.2 volts.

It has been great to be able to sell the noisy and fuel consuming generator for a set of solar panels which I purchased at harbor freight for only $179.00 each. Two 45 watt panels were sufficient to charge a set of 8 gel pack batteries which allows me to run TV, lights, radio and fan all night without totally discharging the system. Even charges on cloudy days!

Working on devising a system to use a wood burning stove to heat copper piping to generate heated water as well. When the kimshi hits the fan providing warmth, food, water and shelter will be no problemo.
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
NASA giving people the heads up on areas that will be PostThu Jan 22, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

effected by a major solar event. Even toilets will not function not to mention major parts of the US power grid. This is not fear mongering but forewarned is forearmed and you should use this information accordingly.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/21jan_severespaceweather.htm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/images/severespaceweather/transformermap.jpghttp://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/images/severespaceweather/transformermap.jpgJanuary 21, 2009: Did you know a solar flare can make your toilet stop working?

see captionThat's the surprising conclusion of a NASA-funded study by the National Academy of Sciences entitled Severe Space Weather Events—Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts. In the 132-page report, experts detailed what might happen to our modern, high-tech society in the event of a "super solar flare" followed by an extreme geomagnetic storm. They found that almost nothing is immune from space weather—not even the water in your bathroom.

Right: Auroras over Blair, Nebraska, during a geomagnetic storm in May 2005. Photo credit: Mike Hollingshead/Spaceweather.com.

The problem begins with the electric power grid. "Electric power is modern society's cornerstone technology on which virtually all other infrastructures and services depend," the report notes. Yet it is particularly vulnerable to bad space weather. Ground currents induced during geomagnetic storms can actually melt the copper windings of transformers at the heart of many power distribution systems. Sprawling power lines act like antennas, picking up the currents and spreading the problem over a wide area. The most famous geomagnetic power outage happened during a space storm in March 1989 when six million people in Quebec lost power for 9 hours: image.

Sign up for EXPRESS SCIENCE NEWS delivery
According to the report, power grids may be more vulnerable than ever. The problem is interconnectedness. In recent years, utilities have joined grids together to allow long-distance transmission of low-cost power to areas of sudden demand. On a hot summer day in California, for instance, people in Los Angeles might be running their air conditioners on power routed from Oregon. It makes economic sense—but not necessarily geomagnetic sense. Interconnectedness makes the system susceptible to wide-ranging "cascade failures."

To estimate the scale of such a failure, report co-author John Kappenmann of the Metatech Corporation looked at the great geomagnetic storm of May 1921, which produced ground currents as much as ten times stronger than the 1989 Quebec storm, and modeled its effect on the modern power grid. He found more than 350 transformers at risk of permanent damage and 130 million people without power. The loss of electricity would ripple across the social infrastructure with "water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, fuel re-supply and so on."

"The concept of interdependency," the report notes, "is evident in the unavailability of water due to long-term outage of electric power--and the inability to restart an electric generator without water on site."

"A contemporary repetition of the Carrington Event would cause … extensive social and economic disruptions," the report warns. Power outages would be accompanied by radio blackouts and satellite malfunctions; telecommunications, GPS navigation, banking and finance, and transportation would all be affected. Some problems would correct themselves with the fading of the storm: radio and GPS transmissions could come back online fairly quickly. Other problems would be lasting: a burnt-out multi-ton transformer, for instance, can take weeks or months to repair. The total economic impact in the first year alone could reach $2 trillion, some 20 times greater than the costs of a Hurricane Katrina or, to use a timelier example, a few TARPs.

What's the solution? The report ends with a call for infrastructure designed to better withstand geomagnetic disturbances, improved GPS codes and frequencies, and improvements in space weather forecasting. Reliable forecasting is key. If utility and satellite operators know a storm is coming, they can take measures to reduce damage—e.g., disconnecting wires, shielding vulnerable electronics, powering down critical hardware. A few hours without power is better than a few weeks.

NASA has deployed a fleet of spacecraft to study the sun and its eruptions. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), the twin STEREO probes, ACE, Wind and others are on duty 24/7. NASA physicists use data from these missions to understand the underlying physics of flares and geomagnetic storms; personnel at NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center use the findings, in turn, to hone their forecasts.

At the moment, no one knows when the next super solar storm will erupt. It could be 100 years away or just 100 days. It's something to think about the next time you flush.

Solar Cycle 24 is slowly gaining strength. STEREO will allow greater scrutiny of this cycle than any other in the history of solar physics. Stay tuned for more births in the months ahead.
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Europe gets bitch slapped by major winter storm PostTue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 am  Reply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/02/2480513.htm?section=justin

Travel chaos as Europe shivers in heavy snowfalls

Posted Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:25pm AEDT
A man makes the most of the 10 centimetre snow coverage in London by skiing to work

A man makes the most of the 10 centimetre snow coverage in London by skiing to work. (AFP: Adrian Dennis)

A blanket of snow has covered large parts of western Europe after some of the heaviest falls in two decades, causing major flight cancellations, disrupting public transport and misery on the roads.

London was covered in up to 10 centimetres of snow, the highest recorded in 18 years, closing the world's busiest airport at Heathrow, paralysing trains and bus services and forcing many commuters to stay at home.

Flurries also brought chaos to parts of Paris and Spain, while three people died in Italy amid adverse weather conditions as the snow reached northern Morocco.

The snow caused a Cyprus Airways plane to come off the taxiway at Heathrow before the airport was then shutdown.

Both runways have since been closed at the world's biggest international airport while all flights have been cancelled up to 5:00pm local time.

Forecasters the Met Office issued a severe weather warning for London and the southeast of England, while train and London Underground services have also been badly hit.

An army of snow ploughs and gritters were working to clear roads as a spokesman for the Highways Agency said: "If your journey is not essential I would strongly advise you don't make it."

Hundreds of schools in southeast England have also been shut.

"It's absolute madness going in to work, but at least I can say I tried," said Bree McWilliam, a policy analyst from Brisbane who experienced her first ever snowfall as she struggled into work.

"I've never seen snow before, it's very exciting. It doesn't snow in Queensland," the 28-year-old said.

Icy roads

In France, flights were delayed by an average of an hour in Paris's Orly and Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airports. One of Orly's two runways was closed, and the other opened two hours late.

Air France cancelled around 30 short and medium haul flights from Charles de Gaulle between 7:00am and 10:00am, but said long haul routes had not been troubled.

France's road traffic agency urged motorists to cancel non-essential journeys, with roads difficult and in a small number of some cases impassable around Paris and in the east near Strasbourg.

The snow and icy conditions caused a dozen accidents in the Paris region without causing injuries, officials said.

In Italy, three people died and 500 people had to be evacuated from their homes Sunday amid bad weather in parts of the country, while Milan woke Monday to a dusting of snow.

Up to 20 centimetres also fell in parts of Switzerland overnight while part of the road around the San Bernardino tunnel was closed.

One to three centimetres of snow fell in Belgium, where around 400 kilometres of traffic jams accumulated during the morning peak hour.

Snowfalls snarled traffic in several parts of Spain including the Madrid area where sections of two highways were temporarily closed to vehicles, causing traffic jams, the National Travel Administration Department (DGT) reported.

- AFP
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Britain poised to experience more record cold weather PostTue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Let us just competely ignore the fact that the sun is stalled in solar minimum and ASSUME Al Gore is right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1158413/Winters-second-wind-Dont-overcoat-away--going-cold-wet.html

This guy is looking pretty cold to me what do you think?

Winter will return with a vengeance today, with a band of heavy rain and snow due to sweep across Britain.

More than a week's rainfall is forecast to deluge parts of England and Wales in just a few hours this afternoon, bringing the risk of flash-floods.

The heavy rain will be followed by hail and sleet over the next few days as temperatures plummet back to a few degrees above freezing.

A man makes his way across Westminster Bridge as heavy snow hit the capital last month
Scotland will see heavy snow showers, with up to a foot expected to fall on higher ground.

The cold spell follows a fortnight of mild temperatures and spells of glorious sunshine for much of the country.
_________________
Being one with nature never felt so good!
visual ray wizard

Location: United States
Temperature anomolies for 2008 PostTue Mar 03, 2009 5:04 am  Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3326813/Global-warming-sceptics-buoyed-by-record-cold.html

By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
Last Updated: 11:19PM GMT 10 Nov 2008

Comments 96 | Comment on this article

Although some areas of the Northern Hemisphere experienced record cold, other areas experienced recorded above average temperatures
Global warming sceptics are pointing to recent record cold temperatures in parts of North America and Asia and the return of Arctic Sea ice to suggest fears about climate change may be overblown.

The deceit behind global warming
Climate debate far from over, claim senators
Climate shift 'poles apart'
According to the US National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), the average temperature of the global land surface in January 2008 was below the 20th century mean (-0.02°F/-0.01°C) for the first time since 1982.

Temperatures were also colder than average across large swathes of central Asia, the Middle East, the western US, western Alaska and southeastern China.

The NCDC reported that the cold conditions were associated with "the largest January snow cover extent on record for the Eurasian continent and for the Northern Hemisphere".

In some parts of China and central Asia, snow fell for the first time in living memory, the NCDC noted.

"For the contiguous United States, the average temperature was 30.5°F (-0.83°C) for January, which was 0.3°F (0.2°C) below the 20th century mean and the 49th coolest January on record, based on preliminary data".

Much of North America was also hit by the heaviest snowfall since the 1960s.

Meanwhile, the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre found the January 2008 Northern Hemisphere sea ice extent, while below the 1979-2000 mean, was greater than the previous four years.

And the January 2008 Southern Hemisphere sea ice extent was significantly above the 1979-2000 mean, ranking as the largest sea ice extent in January over the 30-year historical period.

Generally there were cooler-than-average conditions in the southern oceans and in Niño regions, where the average temperature decreased markedly in January.

Canada's National Post reported that there were so many snow and ice storms in Ontario and Quebec that the property market has suffered because buyers did not want to go out. And in the first two weeks of February, Toronto received 70 cm of snow, smashing the record of 66.6 cm for the entire month set back in 1950.

Asked about the Arctic ice cover, Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, told the Post the Arctic winter had been so severe, the ice has not only recovered but was actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than the same time last year.

"OK, so one winter does not a climate make. It would be premature to claim an Ice Age is looming just because we have had one of our most brutal winters in decades," writes Lorne Gunter in the National Post.

"But if environmentalists and environment reporters can run around shrieking about the manmade destruction of the natural order every time a robin shows up on Georgian Bay two weeks early, then it is at least fair game to use this winter's weather stories to wonder whether the alarmist are being a tad premature."

He also quotes Kenneth Tapping, of Canada's National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun and is convinced the Earth is destined for a long period of severely cold weather if solar activity does not pick up soon.

"The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850," Gunter writes.

I would like to add that this might be a temporary reprieve from general warming conditions and that in the next few years depending upon how active the next sun cycle's activity proves to be we could see further warming.

Another factor which is completely ignored in the main stream media is that major cities (effected by the heat island effect) are included in the data stream. We have to recognize that areas with concentrated areas of buildings and concrete will skew the numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

An urban heat island (UHI) is a metropolitan area which is significantly warmer than its surrounding rural areas. The temperature difference usually is larger at night than during the day and larger in winter than in summer, and is most apparent when winds are weak. The main cause of the urban heat island is modification of the land surface by urban development; waste heat generated by energy usage is a secondary contributor. As population centres grow they tend to modify a greater and greater area of land and have a corresponding increase in average temperature. Partly as a result of the urban heat island effect, monthly rainfall is about 28% greater between 20-40 miles downwind of cities, compared with upwind.

Causes

Thermal (top) and vegetation (bottom) infrared satellite data measured by NASA’s Landsat 7 Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus on August 14, 2002, one of the hottest days in New York City's summer. A comparison of the images shows that where vegetation is dense, temperatures are cooler.There are several causes of a UHI, as outlined in Oke (1982). The principal reason for the night-time warming is (comparatively warm) buildings blocking the view to the (relatively cold) night sky (see thermal radiation). Two other reasons are changes in the thermal properties of surface materials and lack of evapotranspiration in urban areas. Materials commonly used in urban areas, such as concrete and asphalt, have significantly different thermal bulk properties (including heat capacity and thermal conductivity) and surface radiative properties (albedo and emissivity) than the surrounding rural areas. This causes a change in the energy balance of the urban area, often leading to higher temperatures than surrounding rural areas. The energy balance is also affected by the lack of vegetation in urban areas, which inhibits cooling by evapotranspiration.

Other causes of a UHI are due to geometric effects. The tall buildings within many urban areas provide multiple surfaces for the reflection and absorption of sunlight, increasing the efficiency with which urban areas are heated. This is called the "canyon effect". Another effect of buildings is the blocking of wind, which also inhibits cooling by convection. Waste heat from automobiles, air conditioning, industry, and other sources also contributes to the UHI. High levels of pollution in urban areas can also increase the UHI, as many forms of pollution change the radiative properties of the atmosphere.

The EPA discusses one of the reasons when it says:

Heat islands form as vegetation is replaced by asphalt and concrete for roads, buildings, and other structures necessary to accommodate growing populations. These surfaces absorb - rather than reflect - the sun's heat, causing surface temperatures and overall ambient temperatures to rise.
The lesser-used term heat island refers to any area, populated or not, which is consistently hotter than the surrounding area.

Some cities exhibit a heat island effect, largest at night (see below), and particularly in summer,[2] or perhaps in winter,[3] with several degrees between the center of the city and surrounding fields. The difference in temperature between an inner city and its surrounding suburbs is frequently mentioned in weather reports: e.g., "68 degrees downtown, 64 in the suburbs."

We need to take these man made influences in localized areas and back them out of the climatic data that institualised funded scientist report. INHO
Being one with nature never felt so good!

Goto page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next