*Bush Wants To Monotor Internet

Jeanie

Joined: 18 Nov 2001
Location: North East U.S.A.
*Bush Wants To Monotor Internet PostSun Dec 22, 2002 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

LOG IN
REGISTER NOW. It's Free!

Today's NewsPast WeekPast 30 DaysPast 90 DaysPast YearSince 1996

Bush Administration to Propose System for Monitoring Internet
By JOHN MARKOFF and JOHN SCHWARTZ

he Bush administration is planning to propose requiring Internet service providers to help build a centralized system to enable broad monitoring of the Internet and, potentially, surveillance of its users.

The proposal is part of a final version of a report, "The National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace," set for release early next year, according to several people who have been briefed on the report. It is a component of the effort to increase national security after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board is preparing the report, and it is intended to create public and private cooperation to regulate and defend the national computer networks, not only from everyday hazards like viruses but also from terrorist attack. Ultimately the report is intended to provide an Internet strategy for the new Department of Homeland Security.

Such a proposal, which would be subject to Congressional and regulatory approval, would be a technical challenge because the Internet has thousands of independent service providers, from garage operations to giant corporations like American Online, AT&T, Microsoft and Worldcom.

The report does not detail specific operational requirements, locations for the centralized system or costs, people who were briefed on the document said.

While the proposal is meant to gauge the overall state of the worldwide network, some officials of Internet companies who have been briefed on the proposal say they worry that such a system could be used to cross the indistinct border between broad monitoring and wiretap.

Stewart Baker, a Washington lawyer who represents some of the nation's largest Internet providers, said, "Internet service providers are concerned about the privacy implications of this as well as liability," since providing access to live feeds of network activity could be interpreted as a wiretap or as the "pen register" and "trap and trace" systems used on phones without a judicial order.

Mr. Baker said the issue would need to be resolved before the proposal could move forward.

Tiffany Olson, the deputy chief of staff for the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board, said yesterday that the proposal, which includes a national network operations center, was still in flux. She said the proposed methods did not necessarily require gathering data that would allow monitoring at an individual user level.

But the need for a large-scale operations center is real, Ms. Olson said, because Internet service providers and security companies and other online companies only have a view of the part of the Internet that is under their control.

"We don't have anybody that is able to look at the entire picture," she said. "When something is happening, we don't know it's happening until it's too late."

The government report was first released in draft form in September, and described the monitoring center, but it suggested it would likely be controlled by industry. The current draft sets the stage for the government to have a leadership role.

The new proposal is labeled in the report as an "early-warning center" that the board says is required to offer early detection of Internet-based attacks as well as defense against viruses and worms.

But Internet service providers argue that its data-monitoring functions could be used to track the activities of individuals using the network.

An official with a major data services company who has been briefed on several aspects of the government's plans said it was hard to see how such capabilities could be provided to government without the potential for real-time monitoring, even of individuals.

"Part of monitoring the Internet and doing real-time analysis is to be able to track incidents while they are occurring," the official said.

The official compared the system to Carnivore, the Internet wiretap system used by the F.B.I., saying: "Am I analogizing this to Carnivore? Absolutely. But in fact, it's 10 times worse. Carnivore was working on much smaller feeds and could not scale. This is looking at the whole Internet."

One former federal Internet security official cautioned against drawing conclusions from the information that is available so far about the Securing Cyberspace report's conclusions.

Michael Vatis, the founding director of the National Critical Infrastructure Protection Center and now the director of the Institute for Security Technology Studies at Dartmouth, said it was common for proposals to be cast in the worst possible light before anything is actually known about the technology that will be used or the legal framework within which it will function.

"You get a firestorm created before anybody knows what, concretely, is being proposed," Mr. Vatis said.

A technology that is deployed without the proper legal controls "could be used to violate privacy," he said, and should be considered carefully.

But at the other end of the spectrum of reaction, Mr. Vatis warned, "You end up without technology that could be very useful to combat terrorism, information warfare or some other harmful act."

Forum: Join a Discussion on Digital Surveillance

Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostSun Dec 22, 2002 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

"====== But in fact, it's 10 times worse. Carnivore was working on much smaller feeds and could not scale. This is looking at the whole Internet.======"

If the BUSH regime tries to monitor or regulate the internet in any way...he is committing political suicide..possibly economic suicide as well.

What a fool.
shatoga

Joined: 23 Nov 2002
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 3:08 am  Reply with quote

I'm just paranoid, I guess.

Three computers, so far, have suddenly begun to add random letters in the middle of posts, which I am composing.

Attempts to post criticism of dubya often coincide with loss of my internet connection, refusal of my ISP to recognize my name or password and let me back on.
Spyware removal programs tell me there is a corrupted file attempting to load in my root directory. Norton locks up while trying to disinfect the computer.
I use several different ISPs and, remove batteries to kill CMOS & allow me to wipe/reload/ and reconfigure computers so I can use them again.
I've become so paranoid, that Microsoft's constant attempts to send a report, cause me to kill pwoer immediately.
Recently, my wife's cell-phone rang.
Caller said our line was busy.
Nobody was on the phone.
I checked phones and finally physically disconnect the computer, which was turned off at the time.
Simulataneous with unplugging the computer phone connection-
wife said "We have a dial tone!"

A shut down computer was on-line.
Now I delete all cookies, all temporary internet files, and unplug the phone line everytime I log off.

Bush wants to moniter internet activities?
I think he already does.

You see, there is a worm or virus or trojan that keeps messing up my computers.
(& my commercial software seems unable or unwilling to detect & remove it!)

Magic Lantern:
>Magic Lantern would allow "the agency [the FBI] to plant a Trojan horse keystroke logger on a target's PC by sending a computer virus over the Internet, rather than require physical access to the computer as is now the case." < http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0222/hentoff.php
>you have to be remarkably computer-savvy to detect the presence of the Magic Lantern in some crevice in your computer.

Once installed, the Magic Lantern creates a record of every time you press a key on the computer. It's all saved in plain text, and during the FBI's next secret visit to your home or office, that information is downloaded as the agents also pick up whatever other records and papers they find of interest.
By the way, in case you might be just musing at the computer—typing in thoughts or theories you don't intend to send—the Magic Lantern will capture those strokes, too....if they don't find anything the first and second times, they can keep breaking into your home or office until they come across a smoking gun.
< http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0148/hentoff.php http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0701/072301td.htm http://www.sptimes.com/News/011801/Opinion/Ashcroft_showed_conte.shtml
In the demagogue's own words:
"To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty; my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists -- for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve." John Ashcroft http://www.americanpolitics.com/20011207Pitt.html http://www.computeruser.com/news/01/05/04/news1.html

Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Don't let them intimidate you. This whole "homeland security" ploy is to spread fear. That is the only thing they have.Most people will just bend over and take it like good little sheeple. If they think that they can scare us...they better THINK AGAIN. NOW is the time to get LOUDER and LOUDER and LOUDER. If we shut up now....it may well be we'll have to shut up permenantly. Then they have won. I FREELY exercise my 1st Amendement rights of the Constitution of the United States and any "law" wriiten against it is NULL and VOID. Period.

They will never silence us.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mech on 12-23-2002]
shatoga

Joined: 23 Nov 2002
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mech.

Not at liberty to post more.
E-m for details.

zoobie555

Location: Conroe, Texas, USA
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I hate to say it, or maybe I like to say it, but the gov't. couldn't monitor everything that is on the internet. It is scary though, they want to rely on the ISP to help them, what if a particular ISP says "no"...
Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 2:17 am  Reply with quote

SHATOGA......

Are you still getting attacked?

IM me.