Howard Dean the head of the Democrats?

Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
Howard Dean the head of the Democrats? PostFri Feb 04, 2005 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

Dean Poised to Be New Democratic Party Chief

2 hours, 49 minutes ago

Reuters

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former Democratic presidential contender Howard Dean , whose high-flying White House bid crashed a year ago, is poised to win the post of party chairman and tackle the job of leading Democrats back from November's election losses.

One week before the Democratic National Committee votes on a new leader, the outspoken former Vermont governor has more than 250 public pledges from DNC supporters, according to the political newsletter Hotline -- well more than the 214 needed to win.

One of Dean's last rivals, Simon Rosenberg, head of the centrist New Democrat Network, dropped his bid on Friday and endorsed Dean. Former Indiana Congressman Tim Roemer and party strategist Donnie Fowler are Dean's last official rivals in what was once a seven-person field to succeed DNC Chairman Terry McAuliffe.

"Howard Dean has enough votes to win this thing," Rosenberg said. "It's really now just a question of how this all comes to an end."

The resurgence of Dean, an early and fierce critic of President Bush during the Democratic primary campaign, comes three months after many Democrats said the November results showed the party needed a more moderate approach that could broaden its appeal in the South, Midwest and Mountain States.

But Dean wooed party insiders with an aggressive campaign that promised to pump up state-based operations, energize the party's grass roots and build an army of small donors similar to the one that aided his presidential bid.

"He just ran a great campaign," Rosenberg said. "They won this thing. It was not in any way handed to him."

Dean made a national splash in 2003 with a presidential bid that used the Internet to help set fund-raising records, attracted young voters to the party and directly confronted Bush on issues like the Iraq war.

His candidacy collapsed in early 2004 as voters in Iowa and New Hampshire turned to what they viewed as a more electable alternative, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry.

FIRING UP THE BASE

While some Democrats are anxious about putting Dean in charge of the party machinery, others say the strengths he exhibited during his presidential run will serve him well in the organizational post.

"The DNC chairman's job is to raise money, fire up the base and beat up on the Republicans every chance you get," said Kathy Sullivan, chairwoman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party, who has endorsed Dean. "Howard Dean can do all of that."

Gordon Fischer, outgoing Iowa state chairman, said Dean's plain talk was part of his appeal but Democrats knew it could also land him in hot water. As DNC chair, however, Dean would not be the party's only national voice, he said, and he had proven his effectiveness in confronting Republicans.

Dean promised to make the party competitive in more states and focus not just on the White House but also congressional and state races.

"Howard Dean gets it, he understands fundamentally the things Democrats need to do. The DNC needs to change to help state parties more," said Joe Erwin, South Carolina state party chairman and a Fowler backer who said he would be satisfied with a Dean win.

Fowler, the son of former DNC Chairman Don Fowler of South Carolina, was viewed as the last obstacle to Dean's election. He says he will stay in the race until the Feb. 12 vote, although many Democrats expect him to call it quits before then.

"We are still committed to staying in the race, we are getting a lot of private commitments," said Jamal Simmons, a Fowler spokesman. "For now, our supporters still want him in."

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/dean_for_chair.php

</noembed>
Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostSat Feb 12, 2005 2:13 am  Reply with quote

Democrats Ready to Follow Howard Dean's Lead

Fri Feb 11, 4:03 PM ET

Politics - Reuters

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic Party activists, recovering from a stinging November election loss and a fresh round of soul-searching, rallied around Howard Dean (news - web sites) on Friday and promised a grass-roots drive to make the party competitive in the South, Midwest and Mountain states.

With the election of the former Vermont governor as chairman set for Saturday, Democrats put aside lingering doubts about the party's future and opened a two-day party meeting with promises to keep the heat on President Bush.

"The time for introspection and second-guessing is over," said New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a possible Democratic presidential contender in 2008. "It's game time."

"We have to be ready with ideas, with policies that work," he said. "We cannot just be negative."

Former vice presidential candidate John Edwards, another likely White House contender in 2008, joined Senate Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and House Leader Nancy Pelosi of California in condemning Bush's budget and legislative agenda and promising to stand up for Democratic values.

"Don't tell me that Democrats don't stand for anything," Edwards said, echoing his presidential primary campaign theme of fighting to lift up working-class Americans and break down the "two Americas" -- one for the rich and one for the struggling.

With two governorships -- in Virginia and New Jersey -- on the ballot in November and regaining control of Congress at risk in November 2006, Democrats said there was no time to waste.

They promised to join Dean in building up the party's grass roots base and reaching out in states where Democrats have been losing ground.

"In Southern and Western states, we have to start by showing up," Richardson said, urging Democratic leaders to listen for a change to input from west of the Potomac River -- the river that runs along the western border of Washington, D.C.

The election of Dean, an early and fierce critic of the Iraq war and Bush during his Democratic presidential primary campaign, runs counter to the advice of some Democrats that the party should adopt a more moderate approach that would broaden its appeal in the South and West.

But even Democrats who supported some of Dean's rivals -- all of whom have dropped out of the race for chairman -- have adjusted to the idea of Dean at the top.

"There has been some anxiety about him in a lot of states, not just Alabama," said Alabama Democratic executive director Jim Spearman, who originally supported party activist Donnie Fowler.

"He wasn't my first choice, but what he brings with new ideas and his ability to build up the grass roots could sell well in Alabama and rural areas everywhere," Spearman said.

Dean appealed to state party leaders with promises of more spending in the states and more effort at grass-roots organizing.

"What you're going to see is more money spent on the grass roots," Dean promised a caucus of homosexual Democratic National Committee members. He promised them that as chairman Democrats would never "stoop to dividing Americans or scapegoating Americans to win elections."
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostSat Feb 12, 2005 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dean isn't perfect, but at least he understands the Democratic Party need to move back to it's original core ideas of working for the people, instead of the Surveillance State, Military-Industrial Complex, and Corporations.
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostSat Feb 12, 2005 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

FAR better than SKULL and BONES Kerry
Orwell knew

Location: Mid-Missouri
PostSun Feb 13, 2005 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

The Democrats IMO, would have an UNBEATABLE issue if they would simply hold up real FREEDOM and the Bill of Rights and Constitution principles and then try and adhere to those themselves. The problem is they can't do that without looking like complete hypocrits themselves. The gun grabbers in the party and other Israel boot lickers drag the party down and into the same sinking boat as the Republicans, when it comes to their trying to further the Police State mentality. I really see NOTHING very worthwhile coming from either party in general IMO and I personally will continue working OUTSIDE of any of these phony parties working at the grass roots level and largely by passing these FRAUDS.

Dean also needs to get right with the medical marijuana issue where voters time and time again vote OVERWHELMINGLY to allow it's use with a doctors recomendation. Dean seems to portray himself as a 'man of the people' but seems to not be able to stand up to Big Pharma.

Finally Democrats really need to embrace the "giving a hand up" policies, rather than "giving a hand out" policies. Democrats AND Republicans both have their swine dining at taxpayers expense and NEITHER as far as I can see, benefit me the "average citizen taxpayer". NOBODY has a right to my hard earned paycheck more than I and my family do, and if everyone thinks they need 2 cars and 3 T.V.s and a microwave and endless cable channels and all the rest, to not be considered *poor* they can damn well get off their ass and work for it.

SmT
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostSun Feb 13, 2005 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Of course a Libertarian/Green/Labor combination would be the best, and is ultimately where we must head towards as a society to survive. I say combination because any one indepenent party could mutate into something ugly without the other parts feeding the other. Greens alone would outlaw guns. Libertarians alone would have everybody armed, but corporations could destroy our natural resources. Labor would be a third party, but have no imagination on the future. So, take the best aspects of the three, and synthesize them into a new, powerful third party. The best we can do for now is continue to influence politics. Dean is better than average, and though is no Kucinich or Ron Paul, is btter than McAuliffe. I think we should also give some of our money to the sick, the elderly, and the downtrodden. More so than rich corporations or rip-offs of welfare. Both are drains on the system. The Med Pot vs Alcohol is a whole threads worth, and yes, it is the most hypocritcal law I have ever seen.
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
Orwell knew

Location: Mid-Missouri
PostSun Feb 13, 2005 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Indeed Swamp, that's what I'd like to see too,

a combination of the best and brightest ideas from ALL of the parties become the driving force of the Movement into the future. Though I champion 'Libertarian" ideals in general, I belong to NO party and even the Lib's probably have people and ideas I would think TOO extreme. But IMO they are about the ONLY force now going in the Direction that I would like to see which is AWAY from this encroaching TOTALITARIANISM and more toward the respect of the INDIVIDUAL. This is definately NOT what I perceive the direction of the NWO types to be. They seem to love the mythical State and hate the liberty granted by the Divine Will (NOT government).

In reality though, all of this may not matter in the short term, as I perceive we are as a nation plunging into what Looks to me to be the early stages of WWIII (or 4 or 5 if you prefer) if the FAR right EXTREMISTS, that have taken hostage ( or WILLING in many cases) Republicans and Democrats alike, get their blood-thirsty way. I feel strongly the NEO-Con Cabal and it's puppets want nothing less than a Bloody World War. Cheny has publicly admitted in so many words that he is lusting for the blood and resources of DOZENS of other countries now and wants to pay for them with the blood of young Americans and other'willing' men and women.

I think one of the REAL problems is America now seems to produce nothing much, it's 'elite' AND citizens have squandered it's resources in so many get rich quick schemes and now what's left for the country to do but to go out and kill and steal from others. I personally don't buy that way of thinking but it is easy to see many policy makers now on that band wagon. A Hitler rerun. And of course the U.S. as a country sees itself falling in world prominence behind China and E.U. so it is making a grab for the world oil supplies as a last ditch effort to hold onto something as a bargaining chip in the big power game. I think all this is going to do is infuriate the entire rest of the world and America will be killed not from an attack but from neglect (or maybe neglect THEN an attack). We have already seen how China will use it's economic leverage against the U.S. economy if the Bushies try and keep it from gettin the oil it desires for it's huge growth. And of course the Bushies naturally will probaly try exactly this, as they don't want China to grow in power. Another Cold War??? So what's the smart thing to do if the world is to avert WWIII? Answer-- A NECESSARY comprimise. But are the Bushies capable of that? I'm not convinced. They have shown little if any of this human ability.

SmT
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostMon Feb 14, 2005 4:47 am  Reply with quote

SMT,

I don't really know if this country can be saved. I am one of th more optimistic people I know, and if Bush gets away with half of what he has threatened, it's the end. China and the EU are already developing alternative fuels and citizen colonization of space. I remember a time, in the 50s and early 60s, when the US was leading the way in that.

Maybe Howard Dean can throw a little zaniness and creativity back in the Democratic Party. Lieberman wants us to become more like Republicans. Screw that! Real Democrats are supposed to care for the little person, not the big fat cats.

The Green Party is a nice balance to the Libertarians. One cares more the external world and environment, and one more for the individual. Both are absolutely necessary. Labor rounds out the balance. I heard Lew Rockwell on a Liberal New York station a few weeks ago, and he was calling for a dialogue between Liberals and Libertarians. He said there are minor differences, but they will auto-correct. The common point is the dislike of the Neo-Cons.
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!