The Daily Show - helping or hindering?

newtonnjd

Location: Arlington TX, USA
The Daily Show - helping or hindering? PostThu Aug 04, 2005 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

For those who watch the Daily Show, do you think it helps or hinders in spreading the message about how shady the government is? It makes some pretty cutting points about things like the failing war in Iraq, but does using these issues for humour dilute them to the point where viewers are conditioned to ignore government failings, because the humour trivialises them?
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostThu Aug 04, 2005 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Someone shared a rumor that Jon Stewart was seen at Bohemian Grove this year hanging out with Tucker Carlson after he slammed 'Crossfire':

"The absence of any inside news reportage creates a vacuum filled with rumors, some fanciful, such as TV's Daily Show host Jon Stewart seen talking with Tucker Carlson, the politically conservative cable TV pundit who Stewart recently called "a dick" in a bow tie on Carlson's Crossfire show. That scenario was remote but not outside the realm of possibility."

http://fpiarticle.blogspot.com/2005/07/fervor-wanes-at-bohemian-club.html

I think trivialising things with humor is a fantastic way of completely spuidifying everyone that watches it. Laughter is a Swan Song that would tempt many in the face of the things we're seeing today, but I find none of it funny at all.

I think it's part of the problem, myself. I also think the people behind the Daily Show are too intellegent to not know this, so the point of existance for the show becomes plain.

Rome had the Colloseum, we have TV. Reject the Black Lotus.
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."