The "Freedom Walk" of shame

KNOW-THIS

The "Freedom Walk" of shame PostThu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Get a load of this:

"Freedom Walk"

quote:
The two-mile walk will begin at 10 a.m. past the section of the Pentagon hit in the attack and is tentatively scheduled to go through Arlington National Cemetery before crossing the Arlington Memorial Bridge and passing the Lincoln Memorial, said Air Force spokeswoman Tech. Sgt. Eileen Lainez.

The walk will conclude on the south side of the Reflecting Pool with a free concert by Grammy-award winning country music star Clint Black. The stage will be next to the John F. Kennedy hockey field, between the Linc

The U.S. Defense Department will hold a walk and country music concert to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks and to honor U.S. troops and veterans.

Now this:
"Freedom Walk" registration?

quote:
The Freedom Walk is free and open to anyone who registers. Registration closes at 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 9, 2005. There will be no on-site registrations the day of the event.

quote:
Walkers are asked to begin checking in at 7 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2005. The first 1,000 to arrive for screening at the Pentagon on Sept. 11, will receive the official America Supports You campaign lapel pin.

This administration never ceases to amaze me. This so-called "Freedom Walk" scheduled for Sept. 9, requires registration and pre-screening beforehand. In other words, in order to participate in a march that's supposed to represent 'freedom' you must first apply and be pre-approved and selected by screeners? This is how we define freedom now? One needs to have an exclusive membership to march for freedom on the very public streets that our own tax money pays for? That's just like the "freely open" Town Hall meetings that Bush has where every audience member is planted ahead of time and is expected to ask pre-scripted softball questions lacking substance. This is just out of control! They're going to make sure that no dissenters are anywhere near this masquerade so that they can televise it and promote it on Fox as false proof of widespread support of the neocon cause and their agenda. Must one first be a registered republican in order to partake in this fabricated tawdry stunt I wonder? This is just nonsense and I sure do hope that this party gets crashed because it's a total fraud. Freedom has become trivialized to the point that now you can only attain it by filling out a damn application first!
KNOW-THIS

PostThu Aug 11, 2005 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Pentagon to host 9/11 march, show

quote:
The Pentagon will hold a massive march and country music concert to mark the fourth anniversary of 9/11, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an unusual announcement tucked into an Iraq war briefing yesterday.

"This year the Department of Defense will initiate an America Supports Your Freedom Walk," Rumsfeld said, adding that the march would remind people of "the sacrifices of this generation and of each previous generation."

The march will start at the Pentagon, where nearly 200 people died on 9/11, and end at the National Mall with a show by country star Clint Black.

Word of the event startled some observers. "I've never heard of such a thing," said John Pike, who has been a defense analyst in Washington for 25 years and runs GlobalSecurity.org.

The news also reignited debate and anger over linking Sept. 11 with the war in Iraq.

"That piece of it is disturbing since we all know now there was no connection," said Paul Rieckhoff, an Iraq veteran who heads Operation Truth, an anti-administration military booster.

Rieckhoff suggested the event was an ill-conceived publicity stunt. "I think it's clear that their public opinion polls are in the toilet," he said.

Rumsfeld's walk had some relatives of 9/11 victims fuming.

"How about telling Mr. Rumsfeld to leave the memories of Sept. 11 victims to the families?" said Monica Gabrielle, who lost her husband in the attacks.

Administration supporters insisted Rumsfeld was right to link Iraq and 9/11, and hold the rally.

"We are at war," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.). "It's essential that we support our troops."

He also said attacking Iraq was necessary after 9/11. "You do not defeat Al Qaeda until you stabilize the Middle East, and that's not possible as long as Saddam Hussein is in power."

Comment: Signs Roving Reporter Ignacious O'Reilly, currently in Washington, reported to us earlier today that an anonymous Pentagon official claimed that after the concert, the Pentagon plans to initiate a large bonfire upon which concertgoers will be encouraged to burn any books critical of the Bush administration.

Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

"While stands the Colosseum, Rome shall stand.
When falls the Colosseum, Rome shall fall.
And when Rome falls -- the World."

-Byron
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
KNOW-THIS

PostFri Aug 12, 2005 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Look who's sponsoring this event:

quote:
The walk was made possible with the help of several local in-kind supporters, including Stars and Stripes newspaper, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Subway, Washington Post, Lockheed Martin, WTOP, ABC/WJLA-TV Channel 7 and News Channel 8, and the Washington Convention & Tourism Corporation, according to the Freedom Walk Web site.

A company that's benefited greatly from the war and thousands of deaths.
KNOW-THIS

PostSat Aug 13, 2005 11:17 am  Reply with quote

'Wash Post' Hit For Sponsorship Of 'Freedom' March

quote:
The Washington Post has no plans to withdraw its co-sponsorship of a controversial Sept. 11 memorial walk being organized by the Department of Defense, according to Publisher Bo Jones. But, he said the paper would pull out if the event turns out to be some kind of pro-war or political march.

"This was part of the memorial of the 9/11 victims and an effort for veterans past and present and that is it," Jones said about the "Freedom Walk" slated for Sept. 11. "This has nothing to do with politics or the war or support of any political position."

Still, Jones added that the paper would withdraw support, which consists of providing public service advertising space in the paper, if the event turns partisan. "If I turns out to be a political event, we would disassociate ourselves from it," he said.

The gathering will culminate in a concert by country star Clint Black, known for a pro-war song "Iraq and I Roll," which declares, "We can't ignore the devil, he'll keep coming back for more." (See more lyrics below.)

Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr. declined to comment on the paper's involvement, other than to say, "it does not affect our coverage."

But Rick Weiss, a Post science reporter and co-chair of the Washington Post unit of the Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild, noted the hypocrisy of the paper's involvement, since it bars reporters from participating in partisan events. "It is dismaying, to say the least, that I can be fired for participating in a peace march while my employer feels free to co-sponsor an event that so blatantly beats the drum of war," Weiss stated.

Weiss stressed that the guild had not taken a position on the issue, but planned to consider it during a leadership meeting on Monday.

John Pike, who has been a defense analyst in Washington for 25 years and runs GlobalSecurity.org, told Knight Ridder, referring to the Pentagon rally, "I've never heard of such a thing." Others worried that it would re-kindle attempts to link 9/11 to the war in Iraq.

The march, which also is receiving sponsorship help from two Washington D.C. radio stations and a television station, has drawn opposition from liberal blogs and some anti-war groups, who contend it amounts to a pro-war demonstration. Others have specifically pointed to the Post's involvement, claiming that the newspaper should not be part of a potentially political walk.

"This is a terrible thing for The Washington Post," said Bill Dobbs, spokesman for United for Peace and Justice. "It calls into question the media's credibility."

Post spokesman Eric Grant echoed the publisher's view, claiming the paper's interest was strictly non-partisan. "The Post's interest in the event is consistent with our past support of causes relating to the victims of September 11 and honoring veterans of
wars past and present," he said in a statement. "The walk was never presented to us as a rally to support the war and we would be very disappointed if it took that approach."

Clint Black's song, "Iraq and I Roll," also includes these lyrics:

NOW YOU CAN COME ALONG
OR YOU CAN STAY BEHIND
OR YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE WAY
BUT OUR TROOPS TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE
FOR THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.

YOU CAN WAVE YOUR SIGNS IN PROTEST
AGAINST AMERICA TAKING STANDS
THE STANDS AMERICA'S TAKEN
ARE THE REASON THAT YOU CAN

SOME SEE THIS IN BLACK AND WHITE
OTHERS ONLY GRAY
WE'RE NOT BEGGING FOR A FIGHT
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY

WE HAVE THE RESOLUTION
THAT SHOULD PUT'EM ALL TO SHAME
BUT IT'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF DEADLINE
WHEN I'M CALLED IN THE GAME

I PRAY FOR PEACE, PREPARE FOR WAR
AND I NEVER WILL FORGET
THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

IT MIGHT BE A SMART BOMB
THEY FIND STUPID PEOPLE TOO
AND IF YOU STAND WITH THE LIKES OF SADDAM
ONE JUST MIGHT FIND YOU

I'VE GOT INFRARED, I'VE GOT GPS AND I'VE GOT THAT GOOD OLD FASHIONED LEAD
THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

KNOW-THIS

PostTue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Washington Post Backs Out of 9/11 Event

quote:
The Washington Post is withdrawing its offer of free advertising for an organized event by the Defense Department to memorialize the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, the newspaper announced.

The Post backed out of the agreement after critics said the event, scheduled to take place four years after the attacks that hit New York and Washington and resulted in the crash of a commercial airliner over western Pennsylvania, would have a pro-war slant and that support of the event by the newspaper would compromise the Post's journalistic integrity.

"The Post has a code of conduct that says employees should avoid a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest," said Rick Ehrmann, a Local representative for the Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild. "In this case The Post was sponsoring the
Pentagon's Freedom Walk, which ties the attack on Sept.... 11 to the
Iraq war, and of course, The Post's reporters have proven ... that there is no connection between the two, that that link is false."

Ehrmann said, "The Post has made a very good decision in withdrawing from this event."

Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

nice..

Very Happy
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
Swedishoo

Joined: 09 Aug 2000
Location: NC
Freedom Walk? PostWed Aug 17, 2005 4:31 am  Reply with quote

LOLOL

You gotta be kidding me?! REGISTER for the "freedom" walk. LOLOLOL Next we'll have to register to take a crap in a public restroom.

Yeah, right...Freedom Walk. LOL

They should have named it "Take off your sneakers so we can check for shoe-bombs, walk" OR "Staple a Bar-code to your forehead, walk"

Or simply, howabout, "Chain-y Gang Walk"

*snort snort*

Swedishoo
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
Re: Freedom Walk? PostWed Aug 17, 2005 4:43 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Swedishoo
They should have named it "Take off your sneakers so we can check for shoe-bombs, walk" OR "Staple a Bar-code to your forehead, walk"

I'm waiting for somebody bringing exploding underwear on board a plane. Well, you all get what would be the procedure after that for people going on transportation
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
KNOW-THIS

PostWed Aug 17, 2005 9:32 am  Reply with quote

quote:
You gotta be kidding me?! REGISTER for the "freedom" walk. LOLOLOL Next we'll have to register to take a crap in a public restroom.

Somewhere a republican sitting here reading that (missing the sarcasm completely) is thinking, "gee, that be a darn good idea-er". Laughing

You never know when one of those terrorists may decide to swallow a bomb whole in order to get passed the screeners and pass it out the other end like they do drugs in condoms. I propose surveillance cameras in every public stall so that Homeland Security can observe our personal duties, literally. Shocked

quote:
I'm waiting for somebody bringing exploding underwear on board a plane. Well, you all get what would be the procedure after that for people going on transportation

Underwear sniffing dogs? Or worse yet, nosey righties themselves.....they've always been obsessed with monitoring the areas between our legs.
Laughing
KNOW-THIS

PostWed Aug 17, 2005 9:42 am  Reply with quote

quote:
"You smell any sign of explosives in there Harvey"?

quote:
"No...but I'm gonna keep sniffing anyway"