Good Lord almighty

KNOW-THIS

Good Lord almighty PostWed Aug 17, 2005 11:31 pm  Reply with quote

This is just too much. Biking, slashing brush and reading "heavy" books. Oooh wow, what an outdoorsman, 500 pages, that might be heavy for him. As if he's going to even read them. I'd like to give him a test on the material afterwards. Where's the Cliff's Notes? Is this supposed to make him look mature after the Pet Goat incident? How is this news?

Bush Reads About Salt, Flu While in Texas

quote:
When he isn't biking up hills or slashing overgrown brush,
President Bush has 1,500 pages of reading material to fill his down time this month.

The White House said Bush took three heavy books with him on his five-week stay at his Texas ranch, each about 500 pages long.

The titles are:

"The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History." John Barry tells the story of the virus that killed more than 50 million people worldwide in 1918 and argues that the U.S. government ignored the wartime crisis and created conditions that allowed it to thrive.

"Salt: A World History." This best seller by Mark Kurlansky tells the history of salt and how this rock found in nearly every kitchen shaped the world.

"Alexander II: The Last Great Tsar." Apparently a perk of the presidency is getting advance copies of anticipated biographies such as this. The book by celebrated Russian playwright Edvard Radzinsky doesn't go on sale until October.

_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostWed Aug 17, 2005 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

Do you not find it significant with the alledged 2-7 million pending casualties WHO predicts from the Avian Flu that he's reading up on the 1917 outbreak?

The Alexander book's obvious, but why is he reading about of all things, salt?

No dummy jokes, please, I refuse to underestimate this man's intellegnce.
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
Swedishoo

Joined: 09 Aug 2000
Location: NC
Salt PostWed Aug 17, 2005 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

hmmmmm

read this
http://www.cloggie.org/books/salt-a-world-history.html

As you may have guessed from the title, Salt is an exploration of the history of salt use from prehistoric times until today. In the course of which, not just the physical aspects of salt are treated, but also the cultural, political, economical and other aspects of our enduring obsession with NaCl. As such, Salt is broadranging, exactly the kind of non-fiction book I enjoy the most. Especially because Kurlansky doesn't just talk about salt, but brings in everything that's closely related to salt, from the way the ancient Chinese first learned to use natural gas welling up from their salt mines, to the psychological theories Freud and his disciples built up around salt.

For the most part, this makes for interesting reading: Kurlansky clearly knows his subject and is eager to tell about it, but at times the incredibly amount of detail becomes wearisome, especially in later chapters. The book also suffers from being forced into a narrative of progress, an unfolding history of the ever more sophisticated methods of producing salt culminating into the 20th century's use of salt as an essential chemical for literally thousands of processes.

Because of this, the focus is too much orientated on the west, not enough on other cultures. The progress is a familiar one: prehistory-Egypt-Greece-Rome-Medieval-Renaissance-Europe-England-America, with sidetrips to China. I would have loved it if Kurlansky had spent more time on the use of salt in African cultures, as he did for e.g. Rome and somewhat less time on e.g. the use of salt in cod fishing.

In all, a flawed but still worthwhile look into the history of Salt.

Cloggie: the webpages of Martin Wisse
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
Re: Salt PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:14 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Swedishoo
and somewhat less time on e.g. the use of salt in cod fishing.

There it is.

Didn't one of Sr's companies go through this weird morphing of roles and end up as a fishing company or something really odd like that? I forget what it was called..But it had something to do with Cod or vitamins or the like..

Rigorous Intuition had a mention about it about like 2 months ago.
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
KNOW-THIS

PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:29 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Do you not find it significant with the alledged 2-7 million pending casualties WHO predicts from the Avian Flu that he's reading up on the 1917 outbreak?

I seriously doubt that the "genius" Bush is going to go into his secret lab at the ranch and concoct a miraculous vaccine to save the world from great peril after reading this book. I also highly doubt that a man that doesn't even care enough to take the time to go to a single funeral of any of our dead soldiers is really concerned about who might die from the flu. To me this is nothing more than a cheap PR stunt designed to create the impression that Bush is really an intellectual when in reality he probably won't even read the damn books. After all, he's apparently too busy to meet with Sheehan for two minutes. Where's all the time allotted for all of this heavy book reading supposed to come from? We're at a time of war and his dumb ass is vacationing at the ranch, they have to make it look as if he's actually doing something.
_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
increase 1776

Location: Bizzaro World
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:38 am  Reply with quote

My first question would have been ,who's reading to him?
KNOW-THIS

PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:40 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by increase 1776
My first question would have been ,who's reading to him?

Thank you Laughing
_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
Swedishoo

Joined: 09 Aug 2000
Location: NC
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:44 am  Reply with quote

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by KNOW-THIS

quote:
Do you not find it significant with the alledged 2-7 million pending casualties WHO predicts from the Avian Flu that he's reading up on the 1917 outbreak?

I seriously doubt that the "genius" Bush is going to go into his secret lab at the ranch and concoct a miraculous vaccine to save the world from great peril after reading this book.

That is entirely not my point..What I'm saying is that to a degree, credence is lent to the warnings that we will indeed see a pandemic with devastating death tolls if Bush is sitting around brushing up on things like 1917..

Or maybe it's just morbid curiousity, who knows?
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
zoobie555

Location: Conroe, Texas, USA
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:55 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by increase 1776
My first question would have been ,who's reading to him?

Laura, of course!
KNOW-THIS

PostThu Aug 18, 2005 12:58 am  Reply with quote

quote:
That is entirely not my point..What I'm saying is that to a degree, credence is lent to the warnings that we will indeed see a pandemic with devastating death tolls if Bush is sitting around brushing up on things like 1917..

Or maybe it's just morbid curiousity, who knows?

Now I understand where you're coming from. I 100% misunderstood what you were saying there. I do that sometimes.

What I'm saying is, Yahoo wasn't looking at it from that angle when reporting this. Based on the way they phrased the first few sentences it really seemed like the only purpose of the article was to make him look like a stand-up all American guy. I just didn't like the partisan way it was presented.

But yes, I now understand your point.
_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
zoobie555

Location: Conroe, Texas, USA
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 1:00 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Et in Arcadia ego
Do you not find it significant with the alledged 2-7 million pending casualties WHO predicts from the Avian Flu that he's reading up on the 1917 outbreak?

The Alexander book's obvious, but why is he reading about of all things, salt?

No dummy jokes, please, I refuse to underestimate this man's intellegnce.

I get what you are saying Et, and agree. Bush is not a complete dummy. He's a sophisticated criminal, although he gets a lot of help from his dads friends. No way is he capable of the things he does on his own. He's a puppet, and when I say that he is not a complete dummy that just means he's not illiterate or retarded. He's also certainly no intellectual either. He may in fact be able to read the books he brought with him, but first he'll need someone to hold them for him, and not upside down either.
KNOW-THIS

PostThu Aug 18, 2005 2:13 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Yahoo wasn't looking at it from that angle when reporting this

Oops, meant AP, not Yahoo.
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"