Dealing with loved ones

newtonnjd

Location: Arlington TX, USA
Dealing with loved ones PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

In the planting WMD thread I started I linked to a couple of threads on the main messageboard I post at, which is basically a big group of friends that started off at a different board - this group includes my wife, who I first met on the original board. We both post there with our friends. Right now she is flying to Florida to spend the weekend with some of them.

Today we were argueing through PMs while I was at work because she doesn't like the way I argue with people about conspiracies. She doesn't buy into them for a second, and trying to persuade her is useless. I don't blame her, seeing as a couple of years ago I was the same way. So anyway, it's been causing some tension between us recently.

While still being annoyed with her for chiding me in public about it, I decided to see what she was saying about it in her PMs to other people (her internet browser leaves her logged in). I wouldn't normally invade her privacy like that, and regret giving in and doing, but wanted to know what she really thinks.

Yesterday stallion came over to my 9/11 thread and posted there a bit. My wife told one of her friends she couldn't believe one of my "conspiracy buddies" was over there posting that "$#@#!". In another message to a friend she said that I have a paranoid nature and have been duped.

Now, I'm fine if she sticks to her safe, easy view of the world. Whatever works best for her. But to call what I've been saying "$#@#!", and saying I've been "duped" - NOW I'm angry.

It's damn lucky she's away for the weekend, as right now I could do things I'll regret. I can't believe she is so derogatory about what I believe in, and don't know if I like being with someone who can't accept others might have different views on things to her.

Has anyone else experienced this with people they're close to?

Last edited by newtonnjd on Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
Re: Need advice - dealing with loved ones PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by newtonnjd
Has anyone else experienced this with people they're close to?

Of course, but posting her private discussions about other forum members is something I would consider as innapropriate as reading her private messages yourself. I think you could find many people that have experienced similar challenges in their relationships.

One thing worth pointing out though:

No one wants(that's just my opinion) a partner that would blindly follow their own beliefs. If for whatever reason she is unconvinced about things you feel strongly about, maybe the way you breach the subject is itself at fault. "Speed and Timing" is everything..

If she'll be back in time, maybe you should ask her politely to watch CNN's 'Dead Wrong' special report, or at least record it so you can see it with her later..I think that would be an excellent starting place.

Good luck either way,
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
newtonnjd

Location: Arlington TX, USA
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 am  Reply with quote

I have edited out the quotes.. sorry about that, I'm pretty upset about it and didn't realise it was a stupid thing to do.

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately she will refuse to watch any TV program even vaguely connected. I really don't know how to make her see that I've reached an informed decision, based on evidence that she won't even bother to read herself. And I do not have a paranoid nature, seeing as how I didn't even give politics and world affairs a second thought until a couple of years ago.
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 5:06 am  Reply with quote

I'm never one to offer advice except wen somebody asks me.

One way to deal wit unbelieving relativs is to stick with the most mainstream news concerning "Conspiracies and coincidences", such as The Nation magazine, AirAmerica Radio, Pacifica, or the site antiwar.com

They slip in "conspiracies" very subtlely, but tie them into mainstream news. If she does not listen, then perhaps you have a deeper problem with your marriage that will never go away, and rear it's ugly head later on. and this is not the place to discuss that, in public, unless you so choose to.
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
Swedishoo

Joined: 09 Aug 2000
Location: NC
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

The problem isn't conspiracy theories. The problem is your relationship between you and your spouse is turning petty. I suggest you both turn off your computer and involve yourself in other activities...or better yet, activities together off-line.

I'm not being mean, just getting to the bones of it. Smile
newtonnjd

Location: Arlington TX, USA
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Swamp and Swedish.

I agree that turning off the computer would help, but then I want to keep up with the daily news! Also, even if we were doing other things, I'd still know in the back of mind that she thought I was an idiot for believing what I do.

I may have one last try to talk to her calmly about my point of view, and if that fails, tell her that it must be a deeper problem.

I am also wondering whether I should simply keep this a secret from other family and friends. What have been peoples experience broaching the subject with their parents?
m3th0d

Location: Rijeka, Croatia
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

My mom 'believes' in chemtrails too - I managed to convince her and it wasn't very hard to do.
I gave my best friend some links including this forum and he accepted it , but we don't discuss it at all.
I know another person in my town that is into conspiracies and claims chemtrails are also used to 'shut down' people's third eye chakra.

Besides that I don't feel the need to convince people around me..I don't think it will work and I am already considered somewhat of a weirdo.
_________________
*~Peace&Ganja~*
CDsNuTz

Location: Down the hill a bit
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

My Dad says,This NWO thing has been around for years and is a bunch of BS.My Mom says,HMMMM very interesting,Ive always wondered about this sort of thing.

Last week we had a family gathering,one of my (aunts) from extended family starts up with a story about the planet thats supposed to get so close to our planet that it'll look like the moon in our sky,Then everone looked directly at me like i was going to jump up in agreement.I told them it was a bunch of nonsense.They all had that deer in your head lights look,Kinda like i burst their bubbles.They're all kind of lost as to what i believe,They are the religious ones,Im not, but im the one with these "kooky" ideas.(Edit:They relate my ideas to those "kooky" rightwing christian fanatics, which i'm not one of)

My wife thinks i spend to much time on this whole thing,Not that she doesnt believe.Ive shown her so many things that are going on today and the reasons behind them,She can hardly deny it,Though she doesnt take it as seriously as i do.

Newton,you're not a sheeple anymore and there is nothing you can do about it,unless you get hit in the head and forget everything.There are times when i wish i didnt know,but mostly im glad i do.The way i got my wife to start seeing what i see is by watching national news with her,There would be something major going on and id ask her why she thought this was happening,Then id give her other possible reasons for this situation.Sometimes she'd say BS and give me reasons why she thought so.Mostly though she was speechless,I knew she thought it was possible so at least i had her thinking.

Most sheople are completely oblivious to anything that is going on,I mean completly.They've never heard of the NWO,the Bilderbergs,Hell most sheople still think the federal reserve is part of the federal government.At this point at least your wife is aware,Give her some alternative reasons behind major events that the mass media refuses to cover.Give her something tangible to think about,Not something that sounds way out there.Ask her "What if this was the real reason behind this event",Maybe with some real dialogue she'd be able to accept more of what you believe is happening.

Good luck,Keep you head up

HELLO ME,MEET THE REAL ME...........
willbee

Location: usa
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 am  Reply with quote

See what happens when you go and take that Red Pill. Things are never the same again. I seldom talk about what I believe to family and friends. Most of them think Nothing is wrong , every thing is normal ,these gas prices will fall soon, Thats just water vapor, Baa , Baa Baa, and on and on. I just shake my head yes and wonder if maybe Rolling Eyes Just maybe Humans and apes did breed.jafo... Wink
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:36 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by CDsNuTz
.Last week we had a family gathering,one of my (aunts) from extended family starts up with a story about the planet thats supposed to get so close to our planet that it'll look like the moon in our sky,Then everone looked directly at me like i was going to jump up in agreement.

heh..sorry, this cracked me up..That's EXACTLY how it would have happened in my own case..

Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil