"Christian Zionism is our enemy"

KNOW-THIS

"Christian Zionism is our enemy" PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Now you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. The voice of the actual resistance movement itself in Palestine is telling the world that Christian radicals are the main supporters of the Israel occupation as I've been saying so much (despite some contention). In fact, they're actually specifically singling them out as being the exact cause of the problem. The sooner we become willing to recognize this the sooner it can begin to be rectified.

Cindy Sheehan- "You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism."

Hamas: Christian Zionism is our enemy

quote:
The Hamas terrorist organization has singled out Christian supporters of Israel, putting them on notice that it views their actions as “criminal,” making them enemies of the Palestinian Arabs.

In an interview published in the Arabic language newspaper Al-Sharq Al-Awsat last Thursday, Mahmoud al-Zahar, a senior Gaza-based Hamas leader said, surprisingly, that his organization did not regard the West as the enemy.

“We do not consider the West as an enemy but we believe Christian Zionism is criminal,” he said.

While no Arab nationalist or Islamic group has thus far targeted Christians specifically for standing with Israel, the news that Hamas hates them as it hates the Jewish state will not surprise many who regard themselves as “Christian Zionists.”

Christian Zionists – who are to be found mostly, but not exclusively, in the ranks of Evangelical Christianity – not only believe that the God of Israel gave the Land of Israel to the People of Israel. They also believe that they are to stand with Israel against those who are out to rob the Jews of their land.

Millions of Christian Zionists around the world support the Jewish claims to the Land of Israel and reject Arab assertions that they have national rights to this land.

While Arabs may and should be allowed to live in peace in the State of Israel, these Christians believe, any Arab efforts to assert sovereign control over any land in the biblical country of Israel are rejected.

_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
KNOW-THIS

PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Israeli Army, Settlers Fighting Media War as They Battle to Dominate Public Opinion

quote:
As Israeli soldiers dragged Jewish settlers from their homes, one settler walked in front of about a dozen television cameras and wailed: "How could they do this? This the land of Israel." When the cameras were turned off, he stopped crying and walked away.

Another family invited a television crew into their homes and then insisted that soldiers drag them out.

There's no question that settlers were genuinely grieving over the loss of their homes, their livelihood and their dreams. But they were also keenly aware that their struggle was being broadcast across the world, showing how difficult it is for the Jewish state to pull settlers from occupied land.

"The (settlers') goal was to create a legacy, a trauma that was so big ... that no Israeli government would dare to do something similar in the future," Nahum Barnea, a columnist for the Yediot Ahronot newspaper, told The Associated Press.

And that goal may, along with intense media coverage, have dovetailed with the aims of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, who has said that Israel will not consider pulling the bulk of its settlers from the West Bank, the heartland of biblical Israel, despite pressure from Washington to evacuate more settlements.

"The political decision to let the media in was to get every favorable point in world public opinion," said veteran military correspondent Ron Ben Yishai, now a commentator for Yediot Ahronot.

"The reason was to show the world, look how it is when we have to evict ... people from Gaza," Yishai said. "Try to imagine what will happen if you try to evict all the settlements in Judea and Samaria," he added using the biblical names for the West Bank.

The Israeli army, which sometimes limits press coverage of military operations, let more than 500 journalists - one for every three settler families - into Gaza to cover the withdrawal, even providing shuttle buses and refreshments. Journalists were in almost every settler home, embedded with military units and broadcasting live from synagogues as the army dragged settlers out of houses of worship.

"Every side, the Palestinians, the Israelis, the settlers all know the media is the most dominant tool to achieve your goals and they use it," said Maj. Sharon Feingold, a spokeswoman for the Israeli army.

In the months leading up to the pullout, there was a sharp dispute in the army over how to handle media coverage. Some senior commanders favored limiting access for fear that the media would get in the way of soldiers. In the end, the chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz, intervened and allowed free access.

The army apparently felt that it would be impossible to block the press and was also keen to show the world - and Israelis at home - that it was sensitive to the settlers, an image far different from what the world was used to seeing of an army that has just spent years violently cracking down on Palestinian protesters and militants.

Police trained for a year for the mission and rarely used force, even when settlers taunted them and drenched them with paint. Many soldiers were visibly moved by the settlers and several could be seen breaking in tears as they were forced to pull settlers out of their homes.

"They trained the soldiers and policemen to be aware all the time ," Ben Yishai said. "It means how you look, not just what do you do."

Some of the settlers' publicity offensive may have backfired. Some had dressed in Nazi concentration camp uniforms, wearing Stars of David on their clothing. Many Israelis were angered by the sight of settlers using Holocaust imagery and of photos of children being brought before the cameras and settlers attacking soldiers.

Sharon said the settlers' plight initially moved him to tears, but he told the Haaretz daily that when he saw dozens of ultranationalist youths hurling bottles and pouring harmful substances on the soldiers "the pain turned to rage."

And the fact that the army completed the Gaza withdrawal in just a week may be an indication that the withdrawal was not as gut wrenching as many people had anticipated.

"Until now it was easier than expected," Ben Yishai said. "I don't think that the settlers succeeded in making it look like a national trauma."

_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
KNOW-THIS

PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Gaza Evacuation Should Be Americans' Last Straw

quote:
As I watched the extensive, plainly sympathetic coverage of Jewish settlers being evicted from their Gaza homes, I couldn't help but take note once again of the striking double standard applied by American news media as well as the U.S. government.

I cannot recall any sympathetic coverage of Palestinians being evicted from their homes. No interviews with weeping mothers or fathers. No discussions of whether the evictions were right or wrong. This is obviously a deliberate policy on the part of America's television networks, for after all, they had 4,170 opportunities to report on Palestinian evictions since September 2000. That's how many homes were destroyed, and, of course, doesn't count the orchards and olive trees bulldozed by the Israeli army or Israeli settlers.

Of course, Palestinians were not evicted by sympathetic soldiers or promised huge amounts of money to relocate. No, they were brutally told to get out of their houses, which were then blown up or bulldozed into rubble by decidedly unsympathetic Israeli soldiers. What little they had was destroyed, and they were offered nothing except verbal abuse by the Israelis and invisibility by the American media.

One idealistic American girl who tried to stop an Israeli bulldozer from destroying a Palestinian home was crushed to death by the bulldozer. Naturally, the United States government did nothing, and the American media obediently either ignored her death or accepted the Israeli excuse that the driver couldn't see her, which is bull. She was killed in broad, sunny daylight while wearing a blaze-orange jacket and standing atop a pile of dirt.

As an American consumer of commercial news, you should protest. You are being denied the balanced coverage of this conflict that would allow you to form an intelligent opinion. You are, in effect, being fed Israeli propaganda, and if all you know is what you read in most newspapers and see on television, then you would surely think the Palestinians are a faceless mob of howling savages. Actually, they are among the most highly educated and industrious people in the Middle East. A considerable number of them are Christians.

I'm sure you are aware of the Israeli children who have been killed in this current intifada, which started Sept. 29, 2000. There were 122. But are you aware of the 686 Palestinian children who have died? About 1,000 Israeli adults have been killed, while 3,653 Palestinian adults have been killed. About 7,000 Israelis have been wounded; 29,014 Palestinians have been wounded. The Palestinians have nothing with which to resist the occupation of their land except rifles, pistols, homemade bombs and small rockets. Israel, of course, is ranked fifth in the world as a military power and has all the modern weaponry America can supply.

The West Bank and Gaza are not "disputed territory," which is the latest Israeli propaganda term adopted by the American lickspittle politicians. Under international law, the West Bank and Gaza are illegally occupied by the Israeli military. They were seized in 1967 in Israel's blitzkrieg war. The Palestinians, who even then had no government and no army, did not provoke the war.

The tragic truth is that the Palestinian majority that wants peace has not been allowed to have a functioning government and is therefore helpless to stop independent groups from carrying out attacks against the Israeli occupiers. The Palestinian Authority was denied the tools necessary to govern from the get-go.

I will say this about the Israelis: They have chutzpah. Evacuating a minuscule number of settlers from Palestinian land, they tell the Palestinians it is now up to them to live peacefully. Of course, Gaza will be a fenced-off prison. That's the equivalent of the Nazis telling the Poles after the German invasion that it was up to them to live peacefully if they didn't want to be murdered and imprisoned.

The illegal settlements in Gaza were put there despite America's opposition and in disregard of international law. Now, of course, the Israelis want the American taxpayers to pay $2.2 billion to correct their mistake made in defiance of U.S. policy. They expect us to pay for the transfer of the Israeli settlers.

If the U.S. government goes along with this outrageous request, that ought to be the last straw for every patriotic American.
www.antiwar.com/reese/?articleid=7022

"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"