Chavez Warns Bush to Back Off, or Face 10$ Gasoline

KNOW-THIS

Chavez Warns Bush to Back Off, or Face 10$ Gasoline PostSat Aug 20, 2005 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Venezuela

quote:
Threatening a cutoff of oil exports and a break in diplomatic ties, Chavez "demanded" the release of five Cubans being held in the United States for espionage.

Hugo Chavez, the president of the Republic, has assured people that the American market is not essential to Venezuela, and he declared that if the aggression against his government continued to increase, diplomatic ties between the two countries would be at risk.

He said that President Bush cannot seem to take an accurate measure of the situation, and that either he has bad advisers or there is something wrong with his head.

The chief executive said that if he stopped sending petroleum to United States, the Americans must know that the price of a gallon of gasoline would rise to $10. Nevertheless, he was careful to explain that he doesn’t want to cause harm to the Americans and would even order that they be permitted to enroll in the Misión Milagro.

[Editor’s Note: Mision Milagro is a joint Cuba/Venezuela program that treats poor people with eye disease in Latin America and the Caribbean. Chavez means to imply that George W. Bush doesn’t see clearly].

Chavez demanded that the United States release five Cubans being detained there who are accused of espionage. There cases will soon be retried in the courts of that nation.

Chavez Damands Release of the 'Cuban Five' Being Held By the U.S.

[Editor’s Note: The defendants, who were arrested in 1998 in Florida, are alleged to have belonged to the biggest ever Cuban spy ring in the United States. Last week, a judge declared their first trial in 1991 unfair, and ordered a retrial].

President Chavez announced that in the coming days, he would travel to Cuba to attend graduation ceremonies for Latin-American students of the School of Medicine on Saturday, and he pointed out that they would be the first graduates of the “Bolivarian Medical Revolution.”

[Editor's Note: Chavez refers to his reforms as the “Bolivarian Revolution” and paints himself as a kind of successor to Simón Bolivar (July 24, 1783 - December 17, 1830). Bolivar was a South American revolutionary leader credited with leading the fight for independence from Spain in what are now the nations of Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Panama and Bolivia. He is revered as a hero in these countries and throughout much of Latin America].

At the closing ceremonies of the 16th annual World Festival of Students and Youth, the President also announced that his government is preparing to publish 20 million anti-imperialist books, not for sale but for free distribution around the world. The Head of State entrusted the task to his minister of culture, Farruco Sesto. The chief executive said he would publish all the anti-imperialist texts he could because, “one must save the world.”

Chavez 'Testifies' Against the United States

The Venezuelan Head of State asserted that “either we dismantle American imperialism or the imperialism will put an end to this planet.”

Chavez asserted that there has never been an empire more brutal, more cruel, more cynical, more savage, more hypocritical, and more dangerous than the one led by his counterpart, George Bush. He said that “Mr. Danger,” like all other U.S. presidents, is not a person but an imperial system of hegemony that personifies within himself all other names and figures.

The President of the Republic, who appeared at the Festival of Youth to render testimony [at a mock anti-imperialist trial against the United States]," declared that he had come to denounce the imperial way. “I have come to denounce 180 years of harassment. I have come to denounce 200 years of aggression,” he said.

Chavez affirmed that since the times of Francisco de Miranda, the United States had boycotted Venezuela’s revolutionary projects and now boycotts the current project, which involves millions of Venezuelans.

Francisco de Miranda

[Editor’s Note: Francisco de Miranda, 1750–1816, was also a Venezuelan revolutionary and a hero of the struggle for independence from Spain, he is sometimes called “The Precursor” to distinguish him from “The Liberator” Simón Bolívar, who completed the task of liberation].

“I have the impression that Bolivarian project is adding more and more men and women in America and also in North America,” President Chavez said, and he indicated that as it was 200-years-ago, the epicenter of the project remained in Venezuela.

Chavez said that he was well aware imperialism could end his life, and that even now, he has been condemned to death by the elites. But President Chavez said that a coup d'etat in Venezuela was impossible. “They will find no Pinochet in Venezuela,” he declared, adding that with each passing day, the people, the Armed Forces and the government find the idea of a coup d'etat more and more unthinkable.

In the same manner, Chavez warned “Mr. Danger,” that in the event anything ever happened to him, Bush would live to regret it.

_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
increase 1776

Location: Bizzaro World
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 12:35 am  Reply with quote

Do you think we could talk him into running for president of the U.S.? He's smart and has a sense of humor.
CDsNuTz

Location: Down the hill a bit
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 2:34 am  Reply with quote

Hell, Paul Reubens AKA PeeWee Herman would be better then bush at this point on our history. Sad Mad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
_________________
HELLO ME,MEET THE REAL ME...........
Swedishoo

Joined: 09 Aug 2000
Location: NC
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 5:35 am  Reply with quote

I like this guy's spunk but something tells me he's dead man walkin
increase 1776

Location: Bizzaro World
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 5:39 am  Reply with quote

"I like this guy's spunk but something tells me he's dead man walkin" They've, and I'm not quoting Penrod,said the same about Castro for forty+ years.
KNOW-THIS

PostSun Aug 21, 2005 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

U.S.-Venezuela ties continue to suffer

quote:
Relations hit new low as Chavez accuses U.S. of invasion plans

BY MONTE REEL

Washington Post

CARACAS, Venezuela — After the rumble of tanks died down and the last soldier high-stepped past the spectators' pavilion, President Hugo Chavez told the thousands attending Venezuela's Independence Day parade July 5 that no invading army could match the fighting force that had just marched by, "armed to the teeth."

The hypothetical invasion he invoked was patently clear: Two days before, Chavez had announced the discovery of evidence that the United States had drawn up blueprints to invade Venezuela, a plan he said was code-named "Operation Balboa."

American officials dismissed the claim as fiction, just as they have denied Chavez's repeated assertions that the CIA is trying to assassinate him, or that the Bush administration was behind the military coup that briefly toppled his government in April 2002.

There is little doubt, however, that relations between Venezuela and the United States, strained for years, are plunging to new lows.

Chavez has always been outspoken in condemning what he calls "U.S. imperialism," mocking President Bush as "Mr. Danger" and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld as "Mr. War." But Venezuelan officials insist that his recent threats to sever ties with Washington — thereby suspending the export of 1.5 million barrels of oil per day — are more than the rhetoric of a populist rallying domestic support.

"When the president talks, it is not a joke," said Mary Pili Hernandez, a senior Foreign Ministry official. "The only country Venezuela has bad relations with is the United States; with all other countries we have good or very good relations. But with just one word, the U.S. could resolve all of the problems. That word is 'respect.' "

Chavez asserts that the 21st-century equivalent of the Cold War is the developed world's thirst for oil — and its attempts to manipulate weaker governments to secure it. Oil-rich Venezuela sells 60 to 65 percent of its crude oil to the United States, making it the fourth-largest oil supplier to the U.S. market. This year, near-record-high oil prices have helped Chavez finance a variety of social programs that he vows will make the country more independent of U.S. influence.

Observers say the oil revenue also has emboldened Chavez's foreign policy strategy. He has recently inked oil agreements with Argentina, Brazil and his Caribbean neighbors and has launched efforts to strengthen ties with China through oil accords.

Rafael Quiroz, an oil industry analyst in Caracas, said the Chavez government believes that the conflict between developing countries endowed with such natural resources and nations with high demands will only intensify in coming years. Chavez would like to precipitate that conflict, Quiroz said.

"I think he's correct to try to speed up that kind of confrontation, because the developing world — where 85 percent of world reserves are — will stand in a better place after that," Quiroz said. "Every day it is more apparent that oil is fundamental for Venezuela in its international relations, and it is the main ingredient Chavez uses to form strategic alliances."

Venezuela could find other buyers for oil and the United States could find other suppliers, but both have sound financial incentives to continue the current trade arrangement. If Venezuela cut supplies, the United States would probably have to pay more to fill the gap, driving up domestic fuel prices.

Venezuela would also suffer because of higher shipping and infrastructure costs, according to U.S. officials. There are now five refineries in the United States specifically tooled to process Venezuela's variety of heavy crude oil; no other countries are similarly equipped, officials said.

"It would be a disruption, but at the end of the day, no one country can control the international oil market," said William R. Brownfield, the U.S. ambassador to Venezuela.

U.S. officials have also complained about strains in the traditionally cooperative efforts against drug trafficking. Earlier this year, the Venezuelan National Guard seized equipment from neighboring Colombia's anti-drug task force, which works closely with the United States. And last month, the head of Venezuela's drug-fighting squad — whom international drug agents had considered very supportive — was fired.

U.S. officials say the atmosphere between the two countries is tainted with so much bad blood that no simple solution is likely to wash it away.

"We are going to constantly be in his cross hairs," one senior U.S. official said of Chavez. "We're talking about a man who has gone through all of his adult life in confrontation mode. It's not a question that we will have a negative relationship with him."

_________________
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"
KNOW-THIS

PostMon Aug 22, 2005 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez Criticizes U.S. in Show Broadcast From Cuba Alongside Fidel Castro

quote:
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez criticized the United States for recent remarks about his role in Latin America, saying in a Sunday broadcast from Cuba that it is the policies of the U.S. government that are harming the world, not his own.

Chavez spoke alongside Cuban President Fidel Castro during his weekly television and radio show from the western tip of the island, flaunting the close ties between the two leftist leaders that U.S. officials say are threatening democracy in the region.

"The grand destroyer of the world, and the greatest threat ... is represented by U.S. imperialism," Chavez said. "If the world continues on the road being imposed by imperialism, the world will head straight for destruction."

Chavez was responding to remarks U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld made on his way home from visits to Paraguay and Peru last week. Referring to social uprisings in Bolivia that have pushed out two presidents in less than two years, Rumsfeld told reporters that Venezuela and Cuba have been influencing the Andean nation "in unhelpful ways."

Uneasy about the close relationship between Castro and Chavez, Rumsfeld and other U.S. officials have repeatedly said the two men are fomenting instability in Latin America. Both leaders have consistently denied the accusations.

Chavez gave a new vote of confidence to Castro's communist government Sunday, calling it a "revolutionary democracy" in which the Cuban people rule.

People "have asked me how I can support Fidel if he's a dictator," Castro said. "But Cuba doesn't have a dictatorship - it's a revolutionary democracy."

Television footage showed Chavez and Castro together in the streets of Pinar del Rio earlier in the day, standing on the back of a jeep wearing olive green military uniforms and saluting hundreds of shouting residents waving Cuban and Venezuelan flags.

During the nearly six-hour show, Castro and Chavez talked mainly about their joint social ventures, particularly in the health sector. Cuba has sent a fifth of its doctors to work in poor communities in Venezuela, in gratitude for massive shipments of Venezuelan oil under preferential terms.

Chavez also announced Sunday that Venezuela had agreed to loan oil at no interest to Ecuador after days of violent protests brought the country's oil production to a standstill.

"They've asked us to loan them oil ... Venezuela will assume the commitments of the Ecuadorean government," Chavez said, adding that the fellow South American nation would not be charged "one cent" for the loan.

A truce between demonstrators and the Ecuadorean government restored calm to the region Sunday.

Chavez said he would travel to Jamaica Tuesday to discuss Petrocaribe, a Venezuela initiative to supply petroleum to Caribbean countries under favorable financial terms.

"We can't turn our back on the needs of the (region's) countries," he said.

In Cuba, Chavez's government delivered 150 homes built over several months by Venezuelan soldiers in the Pinar del Rio municipality of Sandino, located at Cuba's western extreme where Hurricane Ivan's heavy rains and pounding surf ripped off roofs and flooded homes last September.

Castro and Chavez bantered back and forth throughout the show, provoking laughter from the audience of Cuban officials and Pinar del Rio residents. They praised each other, and took phone calls and messages from supporters in both countries.

Castro's Cabinet members were present, as were the ex-Salvadoran guerrilla leader Shafick Handal and former Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega.

"It is a great privilege for all of us to see you here together," said Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque, dressed like the other officials in a bright red shirt. "We feel like we are living a special moment, and that, in Latin America, Cuba is not alone."

The visit marked Chavez's fourth to Cuba in the last nine months. He arrived Saturday to attend the first graduation of the Latin American School of Medicine, a regional initiative launched in 1998 after two hurricanes devastated Caribbean and Central American nations.

Chavez said he would create a second such school in Venezuela.

"You find me offensive? I find you offensive, for finding me offensive"