Wolves to be re-introduced to New England

Jeanie

Joined: 18 Nov 2001
Location: North East U.S.A.
Wolves to be re-introduced to New England PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:37 am  Reply with quote

What this restoration of wolves to New England means to me is that beautiful non meat eating creatures like deer will be hunted down by packs of wolves and eaten alive. Down With Carnivores...

Eastern Wolf Recovery

Over the last decade, a wolf recovery movement has swept the nation. The successful reestablishment of wolves into Yellowstone and Central Idaho has inspired wildlife lovers everywhere. Thousands of people visit the Great Lakes just to experience the thrill of wildness which wolves bring to the forest. Mexican wolves have been reintroduced to the Southwest and red wolves are back in the Southeast, where they struggle to recover from the brink of extinction. Across the country, the return of the wolf is helping restore diversity and wholeness within the great web of life.

For years, people in the Northeast have provided much of the public support for wolf recovery programs elsewhere. But until RESTORE launched the North Woods Wolf Recovery Project in 1992, the idea of wolves in our own backyard was just a wild dream. Now, after almost ten years of public education and outreach, there is an exciting momentum to restore the howl of the wolf to the North Woods of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York.

For thousands of years, the eastern timber wolf lived throughout the forests of the Northeast. But in the 1600s, colonists began to clear the land for agriculture. In the process wolves were cleared out too. Whole packs were shot, trapped, poisoned, and burned, until the last wolf was driven from the region by the turn of the century.

But, as the economy of New England has changed, so has the land. In the last hundred years, the forests have been regreening old pastures. Moose, deer, and beaver, once scarce, are recovering. So far, large tracts of remote forest have escaped threats of development in the Maine Woods, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, and the Adirondack State Park of New York. All this provides enough remote habitat, with an abundant prey base, scarce human population, and low road density to support 1,000-2,000 wolves-mostly in the vast North Woods of Maine.

As the land has become wilder, our ideas about wolves have changed too. Several public opinion polls have shown that the majority of citizens believe that the wolf has a right to exist in this region. Over 200,000 people have signed petitions in support of the effort. Hundreds of educational presentations and three key conferences in Maine, New Hampshire, and New York have reached thousands of people. Over thirty local, regional, and national conservation organizations have formed the Coalition to Restore the Eastern Wolf (CREW) to coordinate research, education, and advocacy efforts.

In response to this surge of public interest, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has promised to begin developing a wolf recovery plan for the Northeast. This is a giant step forward. The plan will create a blueprint for wolf restoration by identifying the tasks, agencies, and funding necessary for achieving recovery. However, a plan does not guarantee action. That will depend on whether the public is supportive. In order to make an informed decision about if and how to encourage wolf recovery, the planning process will fully involve citizens, state agencies, and landowners through hearings and comment periods.

Yet, as the wolf recovery movement builds momentum, there are bound to be detractors. Already opponents in New Hampshire and Maine have passed anti-wolf laws. Some people fear that wolves will attack their children, prey upon livestock, and decimate deer herds. Others fear that laws protecting wolves will "lock up the forest" and mean lost logging jobs. Regrettably, myths of the "big bad wolf" still persist.

The truth is that there is not one good reason to fear the wolf. Experiences with wolf recovery in other parts of the country show that wolves do not pose any significant threat to people's livelihoods, pastimes, or safety. In fact, wolf recovery can benefit local economies by attracting eco-tourism, and increase the health of prey populations, such as deer. Yet, given the prevalence and durability of these fears, ultimately a successful wolf recovery program will have to help people feel safe with the idea of wolves inhabiting the forest.

This year will be a critical time for all those concerned about the ecological health of the North Woods to take up the call for the wolf. The land is ready for the wolf's return, ready to reweave one more strand in the ecosystem that is the revival of this region's biodiversity. But this will only happen if the people of this region choose to welcome the wolf home.

What You Can Do:
Write to the US Fish and Wildlife Service and let them know you support wolf recovery in the Northeast:
Paul Nickerson
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Westgate Center Drive
Hadley, MA 01035

http://www.restore.org/Wildlife/wolf.html

Last edited by Jeanie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Jeanie

Joined: 18 Nov 2001
Location: North East U.S.A.
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:49 am  Reply with quote

"Project in 1992, the idea of wolves in our own backyard was just a wild dream. Now, after almost ten years of public education and outreach, there is an exciting momentum to restore the howl of the wolf to the North Woods of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York."

I find the idea of public support to reintroduce wolves to New England a bit hard to believe. It took hundreds of years to rid eastern states of this killer now "THEY" will reverse this wolf situation. Do you suppose the N.W.O. is the instigator ?
Rolling Eyes
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 2:46 am  Reply with quote

The wolves were there first, weren't they Jeanie? I don't think we have the right to extreminate species; predators play a vital role in the food chain..

I don't think they should be re-introduced near populated areas, but I don't see why the couldn't be brought in elsewhere..One of the saddest sights I can remember seeing is a sign on a road miles out in the Florida Everglades. It was a panther crossing sign and said to please be cautious, as only 19 panthers were left. The number was crossed out manually and reduced several times.

It really tore my heart to see that.
_________________
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
Jeanie

Joined: 18 Nov 2001
Location: North East U.S.A.
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

E.A.E. Yes, they were here first. Because of seeing so many documentaries on Animal Planet, and National Geographic I have developed a deep hatred for carnivores. I'll give you a few examples. I saw several lions on the back of a baby elephant. Know of an instance where they chewed off the babies trunk. Saw an attack of a deer like creature in labor, about to give birth, attacked by jackals, next scene, jackals trotting off with fawn in its mouth. Can you imagine the panic, pain and suffering the mom went through before she bled to death ? Another case I'll not forget is the sight of a croc leaping out of the water at a deer type animal and it's teeth completely severing the hind leg, so there it stood, now with three legs and facing a slow painful death. Lions, tigers, poisonous snakes, wolves, sharks and evil humans do not deserve the breath of life on this planet... I have stopped watching this type of documentary as I'm saturated and can't bear it any longer. Whenever I see this type of creature on T.V. my only thought, it should be eradicated.

Yes, I know that I do have the right or the means to say what stays and what goes but can't deny what I feel based on the facts of the carnivore world. The absolute worst of all is evil men and women of this world who have the knowledge, ways and means to create havoc for the whole planet and it's atmosphere. I can only hope and pray the owner and Creator of Earth will soon step in and put an end to their evil acts...
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Jeanie,

I agree that carnivorous attitudes both in the animals and humans are one the root causes of the problems of the planet. Yes, there are kind and caring humans who are ominvorous, but the practice of cruelty and consumption of third rate protein is something that Einstein, Ghandi, Tesla, Edison, and countless other great peace-loving people throughout history, have said.

Basically carnivores are cowards. A lion will NEVER attack a grownup rhino or elephant, only defenseless children. Same with humans. Vegetarians do not make war (Hilter WAS NOT a vegetarian...Don't even bring that up).

Vegetable protein is FAR superior to meat, spirulina has every nutrient imaginable including vitamin B12, so the ridulous argument that vegetarians are emaciated also holds no water. Plants no do have a brain and eyes, nor the ability to run.

The human species is not ominvorous, contrary to propganda by the meat lobby. Every aspect of human anatomy is herbivore. The so-called sharp front teeth are designed to tear roots. Ever look at a dog's front teeth...Nothing like a humans. The eyes are set like gorillas. Digestive juices are Ph 6, not Ph 2 like a canine. Intestines are long, not short as in a carnivore. With Mad Cow Disease in the food supply, that alone is enough to make one think.

Now to the questions...Why did DNA, or God, or G_d, or Goddess or whatever put carnivorous animals on the planet? The hunters would say, to keep the population in check. Perhaps, but who are we emulating? The Lions, jackals, tigers, dogs, cats, and hyenas....or Elephants, rhinos, hippos, or most birds? Wolves deserve to live, but when you see them attack pet dogs and cats, this is not acceptable. I wonder what The Biblical verse "The Lion lying down with the lamb means". Genetic-Engineering?

Look at nature again. Society is always worshipping cats and dogs, and birds are relegated to the dinner table, even though birds are smarter (African Grey, Amazon Parrot, Crow), and almost exclusively keep only one mate at at time. There are two pidgeons that have been together in my back yard for 17 years now. we know them by their markings. Many dogs and cats are lovely creatures, but that is by years of domesticatio. Perhaps we should be more careful of who sub-species we as humans copy. does 50% divorce rate ring a bell? Again, I know some of you have pet cats and dogs, and it is not them individually this is directed at (my dog once saved by life), but I'm talking as a collective species.

Another good example would be who the society worships. Al Capone, John Gotti, George W Bush, Andrew Jackson, Howard Hughes, and Caesar are thought of as heroes, whereas Timothy Leary, John Lennon, and Cindy Sheehan are treated as traitors and worse. The culture worships the destroyers more than the creators.
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
Jeanie

Joined: 18 Nov 2001
Location: North East U.S.A.
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Swamp; Thanks for your thoughtful reply. According to the scriptures the time period between Adam, in Eden, up to just the flood of Noah's day the animals are said to have been at peace with each other and man. Immediately after the flood man was given permission to use meat from animals for food as all vegetation wasn't fit to consume being water logged. Special care to drain the blood was a major stipulation.

From Noah's day till today, men have continued to eat meat as there has not been a new restriction. It's our choice if we wish not to.

Swamps quote"I wonder what The Biblical verse "The Lion lying down with the lamb means". Genetic-Engineering? "

No not genetic engineering, your referance is to Isaiah's prophecy where the Father, Jehovah speaks of the Son, Jesus Christ and his rulership over the earth when, at that time, the animals will return to their peaceful condition to each other and to man. Here is part of that prophecy. "And upon him the spirit of Jehovah must settle down (that is, on Christ) the spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the spirit of counsel and of mightiness, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah (respectful fear, not a dread) and there will be enjoyment in the fear fo Jehovah.

And he will not judge by any mere appearance to his eyes, nor reprove simply according to the thing heard by his ears. And with righteousness he must judge the lowly ones, and with uprightness he must give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth... And HE MUST STRIKE THE EARTH WITH THE ROD OF HIS MOUTH; AND WITH THE SPIRIT OF HIS LIPS HE WILL PUT THE WICKED ONE TO DEATH. And righteousness must prove to be the belt of his hips and faithfulness, the belt of his loins.

And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid, the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion ,and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed together, their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand.

THEY WILL NOT DO ANY HARM OR CAUSE ANY RUIN IN ALL MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, BECAUSE THE EARTH WILL CERTAINLY BE FILLED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF JEHOVAH as the waters are covering the very sea.

This is quoted from Isaiah chapter 11:verse 2 through 9. Quoted from the original Hebrew scriptures and without omissions such as God's personal name.
The above prophecy will take place when the kingdom of God removes all these evil political rulers and it itself takes over the complete management of the earth and its resources...Due to many prophecies being fulfilled now, serious bible students feel the time is very close, that is, the intervention by God of all of earth affairs. Please read Daniel 2:44 as it speaks of these very things happening.
Swamp Gas

Location: On a Hill in the Lowlands
PostTue Aug 23, 2005 2:33 am  Reply with quote

I even think Jesus was a vegetarian, since the Essenes and the Gnostics were, of whom Jesus belonged to.

On the genetic engineering idea, I don't think the technology is evil persay, but the people who would control the finances are people witout conscience. If GE could cure cancer and diabetes, it is a good thing. But if it is used to destroy, well it is then evil, or consciousless. If carnivores were re-engineered to not harm creatures, then I wonder whether this would be Good or Bad in itself. We would not have such destruction of living beings. It's a tough call. I say anything that brings Peace be it technology, Science, Religion, Politics, art. music, and human interaction, is a good thing.
_________________
Heard it from a pilot who spoke real gooooood!
Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 1:09 am  Reply with quote

There wouldnt be much point in it in being a Wolf if it had all of its fierceness engineered out of it.

It would be more like a dog..but even domestic dogs in packs exhibit wolf behavior and "savagery".

If you leave a domestic dog in a pack in the wild..eventually it will become just like a wolf.

I think big carnivores get a bad rap in general.

The Native Americans always knew the wisdom of wolves.

In fact..a wolf will take down a very sickly, weak, suffering animal before it will ever take a vigorous healthy one.

Whats the alternative?

Hunters shooting Deer? Or wolves doing the deed?

Either way...a forest becomes very unhealty when deer populations are too high.
Et in Arcadia ego

Location: The Void
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 1:22 am  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mech
Either way...a forest becomes very unhealty when deer populations are too high.

Witness the wasting disease explosion in the deer population. There have been pocket outbreaks of 'naturally' occuring CJD amongst hunters that have consumed infected meat, but they put down talk about that pretty well.
"If the President has commander-in-chief power to commit torture, he has the power to commit genocide, to sanction slavery, to promote apartheid, to license summary execution."
Mech

Location: THE 4th REICH USA
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 1:38 am  Reply with quote

The CJD influx has had a direct corelation with the deer population rise.

As much as environmentalists dont want to hear it. The USA is more forested now than it was in 1920

I live in Massachusetts and there have been more and more moose sightings now than there has ever been.

10, 20 years ago you never heard about that around here.

People stare at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them the globalists plan is to de-industrialize the United States.