posted 05-24-2001 01:40 AM
I’ve been thinking a lot about the price of gasoline, transportation and the energy crisis…these days (and by the way, I was wrong about my predictions that gasoline would level off. It’s still shooting up
like a bat out of hell!) This only fuels my passion and interest for alternative transportation and energies all the more however…
Speaking of which: I WANT to be the first kid on my block to have one of these babies! I want one BAD!! (The first models will go to the millionaires though)
Read about the Moller Sky car at this link:Moller.com
Apparently they’re beginning ground testing now in the town of Davis, California (about 12 miles from my location in Sacramento). Talk about a guy with a vision….he’s actually doing it…not just talking the talk! He's walking the walk.
Here are the specs:
Cruise speed/ top speed: 350/390 mph
Maximum rate of climb: 7800 fpm
Maximum range: 900 miles
Payload with max fuel: 740 lbs
Fuel consumption: 15 mpg
Operational ceiling: 30,000 ft
Gross weight: 2400 lbs
Engine power (8x120 hp): 960 hp
Dimensions (LxWxH): 18' x 9' x 6'
Takeoff and landing area: 35 ft dia
Noise level at 500 ft: 65 dba
Vertical takeoff and landing: yes
Uses automotive gas: yes
Emergency parachutes: yes
The average person will eventually be able to fly one of these….with the simplicity of just pointing where you want to go. Initially it will take a private pilot’s license (for experimental aircraft). And the price will come down dramatically as these are mass produced. The eight Wankel rotary engines can run on a variety of fuels including alcohol…….so the transportation side of the equation is looking bright for America’s future…..Let’s look at the fuel/energy side of the equation:
As you may know, I’m a big advocate of alcohol fuel. It performs just as well if not better, in a slightly modified conventional automobile. And it would do just fine in our sky car. The carburetor (or fuel injection jets) need only be bored out to a wider diameter and the timing may need to be adjusted due to higher compression ratios…..but alcohol fuel is ideal for the following reasons:
1. Existing cars can be modified
2. Old, very well proven technology (Henry Ford’s fuel of choice)
3. Is made from grains like corn, and byproduct can still be used as feed.
4. Cost of production, when mass marketed will be much lower than gasoline, as less energy can be used to produce a gallon of ethanol as opposed to a gallon of gasoline. Solar energy can also be employed to distill fuel grade alcohol.
5. Burns more efficiently and cleanly than gasoline, performance actually increases.
6. Although it needs to burn richer than gasoline (bigger jets), range difference is negligible due to greater efficiency of burn.
7. Only by-product of combustion is CO2 and water vapor…(same as the human breath)
8. Would eliminate dependence on foreign oil from hostile countries while, boosting reliance on the American farmer and opening up an entire new American economy.
9. Actually safer to store than gasoline in fuel tanks due to lower volitility and flash point.
10. Non-polluting if leaked into the water table and environment (the fish would just get drunk)
We don’t have an energy crises…we have an imagination crisis….and we are the victims of an established industry which desires to keep the status quo. It’s not up to government to change society….it’s up to the entrepreneur and free citizen, who wants to venture into this brave new world and start opening up the first alcohol fuel stations. And this opportunity is just waiting here for the taking. There could not be a better opportunity than right now!
There is no need for mankind to regress to riding mules and bicycles, and America to revert to third world status as the liberals want. We are ready to move forward.....and take to the AIR, to do our grocery shopping!!
Read all about alcohol fuel here: Mother Earth Biofuel